Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog never seems to run out of energy. So, after reading about flirt poles, I'm convinced my dog would love playing with one.

Does anyone have any tips on finding a good one? Or, if the suggestion is to make one, then any tips on which materials both hold up the best and provoke the dog into play the most?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I've heard that buying a "carrot" stick and then tieing a toy on the end is a pritty eas way to go. a cheap "carrot" stick costs about $8-$12 off of e-bay.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
a 6ft long PVC pipe, 4 or 5 ft long rope, and the dogs favorite toy or a peice of leather hide.

Total cost: $2.50

I use a leather hide since Nubs reacts to that better. I just drilled a hole in the top of the PVC pipe and that was it. I know some people who use old broom handles or mop handles. There are also a few that use Bamboo or just a thick stick from their yard.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I just buy a really long longe whip for horses and tie a favorite toy to the end. Over the past year or so ours has held up to some really rough, almost daily play with seven dogs ranging in size from under 10 to over 100 lbs. I found the poles in stores to be too small and flimsy, and the usual homemade flirt poles to be too bulky.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
a 6ft long PVC pipe, 4 or 5 ft long rope, and the dogs favorite toy or a peice of leather hide.

Total cost: $2.50

I use a leather hide since Nubs reacts to that better. I just drilled a hole in the top of the PVC pipe and that was it. I know some people who use old broom handles or mop handles. There are also a few that use Bamboo or just a thick stick from their yard.
what diameter PVC do you use?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I used a 6' PVC (diameter depends on the gauge of rope used) I think it's probably 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I threaded a 12' length of rope through the PVC and tied a knot to make it stay in. No drilling necessary. Tie a STURDY tug toy to the other end.

Flirt Pole Video

Just some safety precautions: :eek:

- Start SLOW with short sessions (I started with 5 minutes)
- Do a warm up ahead of time and a nice walk afterward to cool down.
- Don't jump the dogs too high! Be careful of flipping.
- Work on a soft surface like lawn or tilled dirt (never on concrete)
- Be especially careful if using with puppies under 1 year of age.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great! Not only exhausting, but cheap, too.

And, as a bonus, it looks like the owner gets a decent workout, too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ooooo...... those look like fun!! I never have even heard about them. I'll have to make one for Cubby, I think he would have an awesome time with one.

Although I discovered the other day (now that it is getting warm out) that he does something similar with the water hose while I am watering the plants!! LOL

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Buying look around online or at shows

Making commonly PVC, Rope and Hide. If you make then you can chose the pole and rope length that works best for you.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
i have several of different materials but for the longest time..

take one broom, unscrew bristles part. take broomstick and thread dog's leash through hole in end of broomstick handle first. pull clip end of leash through handle loop. pull tight. clip on toy.
voila! flirtpole a la macgyver. cost: zero dollars.

when done playing, disassemble back into leash and broom.

flirtpoles can also be used for impulse control kind of training.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
That's great! Not only exhausting, but cheap, too.

And, as a bonus, it looks like the owner gets a decent workout, too.
Exhausting for the dogs, yes, if they like it. I have two out of seven who don't care for it at all. Four LOVE it and one is neutral. I've been working them between posts and must say that if YOU are getting a decent workout out of doing this (even with tugging inbetween), you're either really out of shape or you're doing something wrong... ;)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Exhausting for the dogs, yes, if they like it. I have two out of seven who don't care for it at all. Four LOVE it and one is neutral. I've been working them between posts and must say that if YOU are getting a decent workout out of doing this (even with tugging inbetween), you're either really out of shape or you're doing something wrong... ;)
That is what I'd have to say LOL. Its really helpful in tiring them out but me standing there moving it around not much of a work out, even running some get them to chase it isn't that hard of work.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
could somebody tell me where i can learn more about flirt poles? it sounds like a great thing, but how exactly do u end the exercise? do u let the dog have it, or do u play keep away the whole time? i am clueless about this subject and would like to know more. thanks!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You can google it and read lots of information on it.

We let the dogs get it and bite it for a while or walk around with it and we then say, "Drop it" and start again. Sometimes I play for 1/2 hour or more (and if anyone doesn't think it's a work out to play keep-away from 2 adult high-prey GSDs for half an hour straight in sand-like soil, I'd like to invite you to my house to give it a try). How I end it is that I say, "That's all". That's a "command" that my dogs know means that playtime is over.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't mean to be a pain, but I do want to remind everyone to use SAFETY PRECAUTIONS:

- Start SLOW with short sessions (I started with 5 minutes)
- Do a warm up ahead of time and a nice walk afterward to cool down.
- Don't jump the dogs too high! Be careful of flipping.
- Work on a soft surface like lawn or tilled dirt (never on concrete)
- Be especially careful if using with puppies under 1 year of age.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts