Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Flirt pole and tug

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  TxRider 
I've been looking around and I see a lot of talk about using tug or a flirt pole to improve a dog's focus and attention on you even when there are major distractions and using tug for the same.
Focus on you?

As I understand it, it's not supposed to be used to teach focus and attention on you. It teaches them to focus their attention. Period. At the time, it's on the critter at the end of the flirt pole. :)

That dog whisperer episode is where I first learned about a flirt pole.

I teach focus on me with a clicker. It's WONDERFUL. My dogs will stare me down, focused so hard when I say "look".

I love that blog and have had it bookmarked for a while. I would trust it. As you know, the exercises I have done have worked for me.

When you're working on focus, be sure not to go too fast. A squirrel at 30 yards is easier to ignore than one at 10 yards. Make sure you work at the distance your dog is able to focus on you before moving closer. If you get so close that the dog is unable to focus, take treats or tug, you're too close to work.

Does that make sense?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.