Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 year old lab who was diagnosed with urinary crystals about 3 months ago.
She had two types, struvites and oxylates. Our vet put her on an antibiotic and Hills prescription diet c/d. After a few weeks she was retested and the oxylates were gone and the struvite number was improved. We retested her urine a few weeks after that and all was clear. The vet wanted us to continue the c/d for life, but like most people, I am concerned about the poor quality ingredients in this food. It is also making her gain weight as it has a high fat content (not great for a lab). I tried blending the c/d with Wellness Senior to see if that might work for her, but I started to see traces of blood again in her urine, so I switched back to all C/D. I really hate feeding her this stuff, but I guess it does do its job.

I was just curious as to whether anyone as tried the Flint River Ranch for urinary crystals and whether or not it worked for you. They have a whole page on their website about urinary crystals, but I wondered if it really works. I ordered some samples and I have been putting a small amount in her food. She seems to like it enough that I don't have to add chicken to get her to eat. I would love to start the switch, but I need real feedback from users. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Being that there is so little information on the web about prescription food alternatives and what works and what doesn't, I am sharing my experience so far. I continued to add a small amount of the FRR to Maxi's Hill's C/D over a 2 week period. I started to notice a trace of blood in her urine and more frequent urination, so I discontinued. So, I guess FRR didn't work for us. I was hoping to find something that I could mix with the prescription C/D that would work. So far Wellness didn't work and FRR didn't work. I called the Vet and asked about another prescription food with less fat, as she was gaining weight from the C/D. He put her on Royal Canin SO. By the way, I always add boiled chicken to her food and it does not affect her crystals.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Important things for dogs with crystals are making sure they get plenty of liquid and ample opportunity to urinate. You can feed canned, kibble with canned and water or a dehydrated. The Honest Kitchen is a good option. I'll go to their site when i can jump on my computer but I *think* Force is the best bet. My sheltie was given a 500mg of vitamin C daily but talk to your vet before doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts