Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The poll in the General forum reminded me of a question I was going to ask you all... We clean up after every poop, mostly because we got into the habit due to our pup having worms when he came to us. We have small children who also use the yard, so we trained Junior to go in a pen we have in our yard. He's doing great. He'll even run in while playing and poop, then come back out to play and get loves and lots of "good boys".

Anyway, since 1)he has been given the clear, and 2) we aren't afraid he might step in it (he comes to the door right when he's done now), we aren't as diligent to immediately pick up the poop. We still pick up every poop before the next one. An example is we might wait until we're done playing.

We are noticing more and more flies. Ick. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. One thing we could do of course is become more diligent, but I saw many people clean once a day??

Flies. Anything to be worried about?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well in general accross species, poop contains bacteria that lives in the digestive system of humans (for example) with no problem, but can be harmful if it gets to other parts of our body. And flies that land both on the poop and on food, doorhandles, or whatever can spread that bacteria.

This is a very general answer, but I don't know anything about dogs specifically :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I dont know where you are, so this may or may not be relevant. The weather is getting warmer and there are more flies around in general, which will disappear when it cools down again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I clean up the poo to get rid of the flies. Last summer my grandfather was ill and I didn't clean the yard for a month. At the time we had 3 dogs, 2 rotties and my griff. We had flies out the ***. It was horrible. I still clean the poo often in the winter but it depends on the weather. I am not going out in the snow storm to clean up the poo. Ain't happening. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts