Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate those things!!! I'm starting to bike with my dog , not because I love biking but he just wasn't getting tired from a walk and I'm not much for running *lol. So he's jogging by my side and his leash is tied to my waste so my hands are free, he's secure and the line is too short for him to run around the bike. I also use a gentle leader so that he can't pull me around even if if wanted to, since he's a bigger dog after all *lol. Anyways I'm going along the Trans Canada trail by my house and a lady with her two little scotties, which are on flexi leads are approaching me. My dog and I are doing what were supposed too, sharing the trail and going on our merry little way when doesn't her two f$#@$n dogs run out and she can't stop them even when she tries, so I ALMOST ran over one!!! I had to slam on my bike breaks and not 2 feet too soon! Jeeze people!!! I'm still fuming from it and now I don't trust her with her dogs and we both use the trail all the time.... grumble, grumble.

·
Registered
532 Posts
You are very brave to have the leash around your waste! I hold mine in my hand. Learned that lesson while rollerblading with the dogs. I sometimes have to let go if we get in a sticky situation. (Such as the dog deciding to go on the wrong side of a pole or they start a full out sprint and I can't slow down!!)

Today we were cruising on the bike and I hear two dogs barking. I see the dogs and Sierra has started to be a little leash reactive and these dogs approach us in the street from the back barking at her. I tell Sierra to leave it and the bigger dog approaches her first, barking. I stop my bike and stand up straight and yell at the dogs to "GO!". I am holding my ground and they actually turned around when I started to step towards them. After several moments I hear someone calling them from a house. [email protected]#$%!!!!! What idiot lets their dogs outside without watching them? I am glad she heard me yelling at them. Some people should not be allowed to own dogs. Situations like these don't help in rehabilitating Sierra.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest I don't think I'd tie the leash around my waste if Taylor didn't have the gentle leader on..... just in case *lol. As it is, my waste is far stronger then his nose and I feel safer with my hands on the handlebars rather then holding the bars and a leash at the same time.
It's just so frustrating when people have loose dogs or dogs on useless leashes. I'm in an area that people would call 'woods' if they really wanted to. It's a heavily treed area close to the river and set aways from the road so people thinks it's a great place to let dogs roam. Stupid though, treating any public area like it's your own back yard..... grr.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts