Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SmartDogs blog compares the safety record of Glocks to Flexi-Leads, and comes up with some surprising results. Apparently, you're more likely to end up in the hospital from a Flexi-Lead accident than from being accidentally shot by someone's handgun. Here's a snip:

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) 16,564 injuries associated with leashes required hospital treatment in 2007.

While CPSC doesn’t break the leashes involved down by type, based on a couple of decades spent obsessively watching people walk their dogs in all kinds of situations I very strongly suspect that the lion’s share of these injuries were caused by retractable leashes like the Flexi lead. And data provided by Consumer Reports appears to support my suspicion.

According to Consumer Reports:

The most common injuries reported were burns and cuts, usually sustained when the cord came in contact with skin as it rapidly paid out from the handle of a leash. Others occurred when the cord got wrapped around part of the owner or the dog.

The kinds of injuries described by Consumer Reports can only occur with retractable leashes like the Flexi lead. A good old-fashioned six foot long leather lead does not ‘pay out’ from a handle. It won’t give you rope burn and it doesn’t cut your hand when you grab it. The kind of leather leads favored by obedience competitors and skilled dog trainers are not likely to hurt you in day to day use. The same obviously cannot be said for retractable leads.
Read the rest here.

And in related news, San Jose, CA has banned the use of these leads in city parks and trails, after a woman who was tripped by one fell and hit her head and died.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm gonna apologize in advance as I think a flexi-lead is an accident waiting to happen and users are a couple cards short of a full deck.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm gonna apologize in advance as I think a flexi-lead is an accident waiting to happen and users are a couple cards short of a full deck.
I 100% agree.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I call them yo-yo leashes...They should be outlawed in my opinion.
I think they're extremely unsafe and I would never use one.

I groom for a boarding kennel/doggie daycare, and also foster for a rescue.
I've personally known about many dogs getting injured or killed as a result of these types of leashes.

Did not know about all the human beings that have been hurt, but I'm not really surprised.

Can anyone honestly tell me why people still use these things??...:confused:
I can't figure it out.....

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I allow guns.... Including Glocks - I have three (Glocks not just guns)..... In my house..... But no flexileads.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I use one for taking Sydney for potty breaks at night. It's longer and easier than a regular leash. But I don't think they have any business being used out in public.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have scars on my leg from a flexi. I wasn't paying attention and was talking to a friend at the park (without Deeken there) and an owner with a dog on a flexi wasn't paying attention and the dog ran around us in an attempt to greet my friend's dog (who was sitting politely between us). The other dog ended up getting the cord wrapped around my legs and several years later, the scars from the rope are still visible. I really dislike flexi's and believe they have no place in public.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I do that same... I only use the retractable leash for late night potty stops.

kafkabeetle - I never responded to you in another post - I went to grad school at BGSU. I'm still trying to finish a Ph.D. from there, so technically I'm still a student there, even though I live in MD! What are you studying?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
kafkabeetle - I never responded to you in another post - I went to grad school at BGSU. I'm still trying to finish a Ph.D. from there, so technically I'm still a student there, even though I live in MD! What are you studying?
I'm an undergraduate student here. My major is English and my minor is ethnic studies. I should be graduating in fall 2011, then I want to go on to study gender/sexuality/race issues in literature. My dad goes to BG online too, for his bachelors. :) What are you studying?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
When I first saw the title, I was like "people can get hurt holding a leash?"

I guess so - not counting injury to others.

Personally, I don't see the point in them. The brief time I used one, I had it in the locked position and mainly used it to extend/retract how much leash I wanted to give him (he was put in a stay/maintaining a position while I adjusted it so he wasn't in motion/pulling).

Then I just got my 20 foot lead and wrapped it around my hand and went from there. Still use it.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i used to use one for long hikes with my jrt bear. but we were in a very remote area with no ppl around, i would never use one at a dog park or something like that.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Then I just got my 20 foot lead and wrapped it around my hand and went from there. Still use it.
They do make flexi's that are "ribbon only" meaning there isn't just a few inches of leash and then a bunch of really dangerous string. The whole thing is made of leash material. I think a ribbon-only flexi has its benefits but not if your going to use it to just let your dog do whatever while you chill out and let them wrap themselves around everything.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'll go against the grain and say that I absolutely love flexi leads and use them where they are appropriate.

Mine are full ribbon leads with an easy lock, and I am particular about the type of flexi lead I do use as they certainly are not all equal for ease of use etc.

I happen to love them because where I mostly walk (rurally) we have a bunch of idiots who leave their DA large dogs out all day, and that means my small dogs (even with recall training) can't be walked off leash just in case of one of those idiot's dogs rushes mine and attacks/scares them. (Has happened many times already). I have hope of quickly getting between maurading dog and mine with my dogs on lead, but not without, (I cannot count on recall from a 12 pound rightfully terrified dog when a 120 pounder is bearing down on them in hopes to kill - as has happened in the all too recent past).

My rural walks/hikes are for fun and entertainment and to let my dogs sniff and explore away from our three acre yard. I would not think of taking my meandering fun walks with my dogs through a rural area on a 4 or 6 foot lead - there would be no benefit to the walk for me or my dogs,

I also cannot think of - anymore - taking meandering walks with my dogs off lead, because of other idiot's untrained DA loose dogs.

The flexi-leads allow me to allow my dogs enough freedom to have fun, while still remaining relatively safe with them (unfortunately completely safe is not an option).

Whilst walking in urban areas and dog parks we use 6 foot leads.

SOB

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I understand banning flexi leashes from sidewalks and parks, but suggesting that we completely outlaw them altogether seems pretty ridiculous to me. It's not the tool that's dangerous, it's the wielder. I can think of plenty of completely reasonable, safe situations were one could use a flexi lead and it would be a shame to needlessly outlaw it. For instance, walks in empty fields where there's no one around and the dog can't be trusted off leash, or if someone doesn't have a fence around their yard and they're letting their dog out for a quick potty break. Of course flexi leashes are dangerous in situations where there are other people, traffic, other dogs, etc. around in close proximity or tight spaces, but that's more like a common sense issue, I don't feel the law needs to be involved.

I've personally never used a flexi leash, as I don't much like the string ones and the ones where it's flat leash all the way are really really pricy. I have a 30 ft cotton leash, though, that I use for training out in an unfenced field, and I can totally understand the appeal of having an easy-retractable handheld leash as opposed to lugging around a tangled mass of leash, lol!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I once dislocated my shoulder when my then 100 lb. puppy hit the end of the flexi lead at full speed...I was walking one way & he went the other at a run...I didn't know what hit me when he hit the end of that thing!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not a fan of the string-type flexis either. I've gotten lots of rope burns from them and once my friend nearly choked and/or sliced my dog with her dog's leash because she wasn't paying attention and her dog was running around. I have a flexi myself (rarely used) but it's the belt/ribbon type and I always keep it short and locked when we're walking around other people and dogs. (Are there really owners who just let their dog run around others on their retractable leashes?! Doesn't anyone think about how dangerous that is?) And of course the big plus is the retractability and how it doesn't get in a tangled mess like my regular leash does.
I agree 100% with Nargle, we wouldn't have most of these problems with retractable leashes if people just had common sense.
Plus I live in SJ and it sucks that I'll no longer be able to use mine. :(

/goes back to lurk-mode

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I have a 30 ft cotton leash, though, that I use for training out in an unfenced field, and I can totally understand the appeal of having an easy-retractable handheld leash as opposed to lugging around a tangled mass of leash, lol!
Well, that's why I just wrap it around my hand/wrist and can just let out as much as I want - and if I want to let him off - it's still just wrapped around - no tangles. :)

If I have a 20 foot leash, I also have a 6 foot one. Just a matter of wrapping it up and since Wally stays put during the whole operation - it's pretty much just the same thing as when I used the flexi-leash.

For me, I don't see the point, even with the "all leash" style. I have an all-leash style leash...the leash :D

(Are there really owners who just let their dog run around others on their retractable leashes?! Doesn't anyone think about how dangerous that is?)
Yes. I've seen dogs wrap around the street lights, one dog tied up his owners leg to a pole while she was talking and she cussed the dog out all bad.

And the common sense thing - well that applies to LOTS of things, from leash laws to flex leashes to picking up poop, to even just training.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is too timely, with a 4 month big pup on my hands who has been trained inside all winter I am ready to move outside with the coming spring. I have been looking for a long canvas green leash. I don't want a stinky retractable leash. it's to thin for starters and the picture of me being drug around should the pup lunge is not pretty. Rufus is 19 inches at the shoulder already and 35 lbs. With the dangers you have mentioned... eeesh I have enough headaches already with juggling a purse and things when out let along trying to figure out how to lock my leash make sure he doesn't run where he shouldn't the wrap around the wrist method is for me. FYI Rufus walks fine on a leash I just need a training leash due to a road touching my land and doing recall work with him being a puppy.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts