Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in North Carolina and the fleas here are horrible. I am originally from Wyoming, and we never had problems with fleas there. However, I find at least two fleas on my dogs, daily.

I vacuum like crazy and they get flea baths and once a month treatments, but it doesn't seem to matter. I still have to deal with a few fleas. They are not majorly infested, but I don't want for them to have any fleas, as I know it can make them itchy amongst other things.

I was wondering what are some natural ways to repel fleas? I have been adding apple cider vinegar to their water for almost two weeks now. Should it be regular vinegar?

I read in a few places that garlic tablets can work well too. Is this true? Are there any dangers to it?

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I can't help you with anything natural, but frontline and advantage multi has done nothing for fleas here. Comfortis works very well, so far.
I had a huge problem this year, and never have had fleas here. Seemed like they drank the frontline like koolaid lol.

·
Registered
468 Posts
We live in North Carolina and the fleas here are horrible. I am originally from Wyoming, and we never had problems with fleas there. However, I find at least two fleas on my dogs, daily.

I vacuum like crazy and they get flea baths and once a month treatments, but it doesn't seem to matter. I still have to deal with a few fleas. They are not majorly infested, but I don't want for them to have any fleas, as I know it can make them itchy amongst other things.

I was wondering what are some natural ways to repel fleas? I have been adding apple cider vinegar to their water for almost two weeks now. Should it be regular vinegar?

I read in a few places that garlic tablets can work well too. Is this true? Are there any dangers to it?

Thank you all for your help.
It is definitely apple cider vinegar. Essential oils like lavendar, rosemary, and citrus scents can also repel them. There are mixed opinions on whether garlic is good for dogs. I personally avoid it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
We're new to our area and according to our new vet, our area is "very bad" for fleas. I don't use any spot-on treatments on Molly or do flea baths but I do spritz her with an all natural herbal spray repellant that works for fleas and ticks. So far, knock wood, I haven't seen a flea or tick on her and we walk her in meadows a lot. Here's a link to the product I use. I think it would be super easy to make at home, too.
http://www.petnaturals.com/vitamins_supplements/flea-tick-repellent-dogs-cats-spray.php

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Fleas have been awful here this year, too. One jumped onto my dad's arm yesterday while he was outside in the lawn chair and bit him! I have Crystal on Sentinel and Casper on Revolution. I found a flea and a bunch of flea dirt on Crystal today (nothing on Cas -- Revolution kills adult fleas, but Sentinel does not, only sterilizes them). I treated her with Revolution as well and washed all of the dogs' bedding and my bedding. I hate fleas so much.

Here are some good resources:
Know Your Enemy
Flea Control
Flea Product Comparison

1 - 5 of 5 Posts