Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Fourth: Herbal shampoos/essential oils. Warning: do not use essential oils on cats! Cedar, citronella, neem, eucalyptus, orange, rosemary, and several other oils/herbals are great against fleas. I'm fond of Ark Natural's "Neem Protect" spray and shampoo, Touch of Mink's "3 in 1 Pet Shampoo", and Snook's (www.snookdog.com) "Herbal Shampoo" and "Flea Tea Dip". On dogs, you can even get away with applying the essential oils on the back of the shoulder blades, but do research on any necessary dilutions.
Just a note to be -very- careful with essential oils...

I used to use pennyroyal on my dog, very very diluted to keep fleas off, you can even grow it in your yard to keep fleas away. Works and is a member of the mint family so doesn't smell bad.. Many dog shampoos use it. Used it for years in shampoos and even made my own rinse for her. She lived happy and healthy past 16 years.

But straight pennyroyal oil or some other straight oil extracts of plants can be -fatal- very quickly if enough is applied to a dog's skin or ingested, and even moreso for cats, and it doesn't take much sometimes just a few drops. For that matter they can be fatal to you too.

http://csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Articlespdf/Natural Approaches for Flea Control.pdf

As for Diatomaceous earth, I have never tried it on anything but Fire ants, if that works you might want to look into the pool store variety, many many pools use DE in the filter system and every pool store out there sells it by the box.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
A friend of my mom with therapy dogs is getting us some Diatomaceous Earth. I like the idea of not using chemicals. But do not get the pool variety.
It's basically the shell of a tiny single cell sized organism.

Reading a few places the pool variety seems to have sharper crystalline edges, and is harmful to breath the dust, where food grade variety is duller edges less crystalline and poses less of a health threat when inhaled.

Wonder which kills bugs better or if they are the same effectiveness wise?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.