Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our new fur son tomorrow :D A Mini Schnauzer. We live in a town house type complex and having had dogs here before we know that the fleas are everywhere! We had to be faithful in our treatment of flea meds or paid the price in more ways then one :(

My question is all the meds say not for under 6 months old. How do we stop him from getting fleas until he is old & big (heavy) enough?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Most of the vet-quality meds say 6 or 8 or 12 weeks, not 6 months. Ask your vet.

For really young puppies, flea combing is the best option. For bad infestations, a bath in blue Dawn may be necessary.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I read the boxes with my glasses off. I could had swore it said 6 months or older. In the past we used Advantage and usually have our groomer put it on when the fur child goes to her - once monthly.

Thanks for clearing up my "senior moment" ;)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Maybe I read the boxes with my glasses off. I could had swore it said 6 months or older. In the past we used Advantage and usually have our groomer put it on when the fur child goes to her - once monthly.

Thanks for clearing up my "senior moment" ;)[/QUOTE

Just an FYI any topical flea product requires the oils in a pet's coat to help the product spread though out the body. If your dog is bathed just prior to application it cuts down on the effectiveness. Apply two days prior or two days after a bath.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Revolution can be used to treat dogs 6 weeks and older.
Advantage, Advantage Multi and K9 Advantix is 7 weeks and older.

I would only recommend using a vet-quality product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts