Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy had the the revolution treatment done, however during his grooming and bath process, some fleas were found around his neck. I took him back to the vet, who did a blood test and recommends further tests, to assure that there are no further disease on home. Not sure if he came from the breeder with fleas. I have tried to clean the house and will continue with the treatment of revolution. I only have him for 5 weeks now and we do not walk far. He is a labradoodle and 18 weeks old. Any suggestions as to after affects and what should my further course of action be.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the Revolution didn't work, why continue with it? Do some searching around the net. There are a lot of more benign ways to control fleas and there are other products like Revolution that use other chemicals and may work better, but you wouldn't want to be dosing him with any of those until the Revolution is really and truly worn off.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Fleas can be a real pain to get rid of. They aren't only on the dog, they are in the house and yard, and possibly other pets you might have. :/ So, in addition to treating the animals, you may have to treat the house and yard, as well.

I haven't found Revolution to be as effective as Advantage or Advantix. On the other hand, I've found it works a lot better than Frontline in my area. However, it's effectiveness against heartworm was winding up being kind of iffy, so my vet no longer carries the dog version of it.

Currently, if I need to treat my dogs for fleas, I use Nexguard chewables.

However, there are a wide range of options, and finding one that works for you might take some time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Agree with Leo. You must treat the dog, the house, any other pets, possibly the yard. Any place the dog has contact will need flea abatement.

Do a bit of research on the flea life cycle. You will discover that adult flea will lay eggs almost immediately after their first blood meal. The eggs will fall off the dog. Then goes through 2 more life stages before it becomes adult. ONLY adults will be on the dog.

Frontline has no effect in my area. I have shifted to VetGard topical. Been using it for over 2 years without a flea or tick detected.

·
Registered
11,245 Posts
Remember that if you switch from Revolution (which covers heartworm, fleas, and some ticks) to a different topical like Advantix (covers fleas, ticks, some other parasites) that you will need to account for heartworm prevention. You may find that an oral HW prevention and a topical flea treatment or a flea collar is a good combination for example. Capstar oral can be used in combination with other flea/parasite treatments to kill adult fleas on the dog when the med is given.

Fleas mean treating and cleaning the house. Hot water wash and hot dry the dog's bedding if washable and any human bedding where the dog has slept or rested. Vacuum every other day or so with a bagless vacuum or dispose of the bag after each thorough vacuum of the house and furniture. Gotta get into every crevice of flooring, beds, sofas, baseboards etc with the vacuum to get rid of eggs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts