Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story made as short as possible.

5 month old puppy (mini schnauzer) has fleas. We have used both products from the vet - Advantage and K9 (I may have the names wrong) The ones we use are for both fleas & ticks as we planned to take him fishing, hiking etc with us. (but we have not done it as of the flea situation. we are worried those places will give him even more)

We live in an apartment complex and there are a LOT if irresponsible pet owners here! They won't even pick up their pets poo, they drag their pets around they allow them to poo in the different yards (we have a poo area) etc.

We don't take our dog to the poo area as you can't get to it without walking in poo as no one cleans it up like we each are suppose to. So we walk him along side the road where there is some grass.

We have tried several locations in our area (it's a very large court yard & yard area) he still comes home with fleas!

We can't treat the yard - its HUGE!

Our vet told us we can not reapply the flea med any more often then every 25 days.
So we do the green dawn dish soap, which works until he goes outside again. She also told us not to use this more often then every 10 days.

We are bombing our home AGAIN this weekend.

We know you have to clean & vacuum like crazy etc etc...

The vet also told us the meds don't stop the fleas from getting on him, the med kills them after they bite him.

Is there anything that stop them from getting ON him to begin with?

I read garlic powder in their food, vinegar (yuck) in their water.

The vet is saying "you pretty much have to wait until cold weather gets here to stop this". PLEASE tell me she is wrong.

Is there anything we can do to stop this madness? We feel super super bad for our little guy he is always chewing/biting himself. He is infested!

PS: He goes on Sep 17th to be "fixed" and we really hate the thought of him feeling yucky AND fighting these dang fleas!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
There are lots of flea meds on the market that have different active ingredients. If you have used a med with active ingredient X and are still having problems, I would recommend choosing a different brand with a different active ingredient.

I've had a lot of luck with oral flea meds (pill form). One brand, Capstar, can be given as often as needed, even once a day if you are still seeing fleas. Speaking from experience, though, all fleas on a dog die within a couple hours of giving this med. If you wait an hour and then look at the dog's underside, you can usually pick them off yourself. This particular med does nothing to prevent future fleas, but it wipes the slate clean. I like Program (another oral med) as a monthly preventative. A note of warning: most oral flea meds must be given with a meal.

Check out online retailers if your vet doesn't carry alternative brands.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
One thing--don't bathe him 3 days before or after applying the flea meds. They need to spread in the body oils, so if you bathe him right before, there won't be enough body oils for it to spread. And of course bathing too soon after will wash the product off. I like to give a Capstar (best price is on Amazon--and if you buy the large size you can split the pill in half/quarters and save even more!) about half an hour before applying a topical.

There's another oral product that lasts a month, called Comfortis. Might be worth a try. Program only sterilizes the fleas, doesn't kill them. Can't say I've had a lot of success with it. Might prevent an all-out infestation in some situations, but probably not in an apartment complex.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've been using essential oils on my dogs. You just put one drop once a week on their collar (NOT their skin) of 100% lavender, tea tree, and/or cedarwood essential oil to repel fleas, and you can do the same treatment with 100% rose geranium essential oil to repel ticks.

I have been doing this for 3 months now with my dogs and I haven't seen a single flea on them since I started. I have even been late on replenishing the drops on their collars and still they haven't picked up any fleas or ticks.

Oh, and while I say you add the drops once a week, it is perfectly safe to do it twice a week, and that's probably what I would recommend for you since you are having such a problem with the fleas. You can also make up a spray with the essential oils to spray around your house to get rid of the fleas. Just add some drops (maybe 15 or so) of the oil to a spray bottle of water and spray along all the cracks in your house. (If you have cats, I might not do the spray, though, because cats are very sensitive to the oils)

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's a real shame that you're having such an issue with fleas! Especially if you're living in an apartment-like home and no matter what you do, it seems, the problem never appears to get better!

I say keep doing what you're doing. I do prefer Advantage products, myself. K9 Advantix (like Advantage, all from Bayer) is similar but it kills ticks and claims to repel biting flies. It has permethrin as it's main ingredient so it's NOT to be used on cats/small animals!!! (Like ferrets... I have ferrets!) Someone already mentioned, too, that you should not bath your dog a few days before AND after application of these products as it wrecks the efficacy. If you bath right after application, you're just washing the product off (even if you take you dog for lots of swims, the product will wear off faster but does stand up to water OK). If you bath beforehand, the product won't spread and cover the body properly and, ergo, won't work.

I do believe that with the K9 Advantix, because is has the permethrin, that it will not only kill fleas and ticks but should repel them to an extent... Am I wrong on this one??

You might then consider a product called Revolution which, unlike Advantage products, is absorbed into the bloodstream. It's made by Pfizer and I think it kills the fleas as soon as they bite and take in the pesticide in the blood.

You have some other products that were mentioned like Program which doesn't kill the fleas but merely sterlizes them so they cannot reproduce. Good for people that do not have flea infestation problems and works as a preventive caution.

In my opinion, and this is just me talking here from experience, it sounds like a pretty bad flea infestation! If it is really as bad as it sounds, you MAY have to resort to an exterminator. Now, because of other apartments... the "source" of the problem would have to be discovered and exterminated there, too, or you're back to square one.

I don't mean to scare you! I know of people having to do this and it is their absolute last resort (besides moving). USUALLY with enough cleaning, vacuuming, treatment and with time the problem should go away. Fingers crossed!

OH, there is a spray product that you can buy that you can spray your home with. I can't remember the name of the product... but it's used by vet hospitals and such to treat their buildings (I used to work at a vet hosp and had to do this!). It's a great product but you should wear gloves and a mask and clear everyone out for at least a couple of hourse. It's pretty inexpensive and worth a try.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I would go with comfortis. While it doesn't repel, it does kill in a half hour. It has worked wonders here, where the frontline and advantage didn't seem to help at all.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If I am understanding all the different info here correctly - there are oral meds I can give him to either A. kill them when they bite him B. sterilize them when they bite him C. stop them from getting on him all together??? I am going to look into the pills. He is a good pill taker - with a small bite of cheese wrapper around it ;)

Well we are doing one thing incorrectly. We are bathing him in green dawn dish soap & then the next morning applying the flea med to his skin. It usually works for about 7 to 10 days - now I know why.

If we called in a bug guy we would have to 1. get all the units agree to have their home done 2. Pay for all 8 units ! Not do-able :(

When I seen the name Revolution it made me remember we had very good success with it years ago. I do need to check & see if it kills/prevents ticks too. Or if there is another method/pill etc way to keep him safe from tick bites that can be done with the Revolution product.
Edited: we give him a heart worm pill 1 x a month - don't those also help with ticks? I need to look into that too.

We are going to Petco today - a 2 hr drive for us for a different issue. We use harness instead of collars. His neck is "skinny" (normal) but his chest is large. So the harness that fits his chest he can pull down & get in his mouth. we are hoping to find 1 that will fit him today plus look at products there.

We are going to "bomb" our home today while we are gone.

Daenyers - I have heard of using such things as 100% lavender, tea tree, and/or cedarwood essential oil but ON their skin & I felt VERY uncomfortable doing that. But on his harness back at the neck area I would consider. I actually have tea tree & lavender oil here - tea tree for when our grandkids had lice (yeah bugs like us --- GRRRR!) and lavender to put in my bath water or oil burner for the scent.

From all the research I have done I think I just need to accept that I need to be more dedicated to picking them off him (lice comb?) finding the right product - plus maybe an oil - and last but not least running our bag less vacuum several times a day.

I also read some where that fleas like most flying bugs like light & putting a bug zapper in 1 area of your home & turning off all the lights at night time will kill a lot of them - but that seems a bit odd to me but I am willing to try it if nothing else works SOON.

I can not express my gratitude enough to all of you who posted your ideas & info here! I LOVE knowing I have a community that has experiences & knowledge and is willing to help us raise our fur son as safe & healthy as possible!! :D

PS: Hubby & I have been married 14 yrs & thought about having kids together when we hooked up. Recently I told him we should have picked human kids instead of fur ones. KIDDING!!! But at times I do feel better equip to raise humans then animals lol :frusty:

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
The oral meds do #1 or #2 but not #3, unfortunately. But if the fleas bite once and then drop dead, that's better than living several hours and biting a lot of times :D. K9 Advantix is supposed to repel fleas, but I don't think the others do. Putting the essential oils on his collar might do a decent job of repelling, but with that kind of infestation I'd still want something to kill the brave fleas that don't mind the smell :p.

Revolution is approved to kill dog ticks. There's no reason it wouldn't kill other ticks as well, they just haven't gotten approval to say it does (it's considered a drug, not a pesticide, so it's under different rules). But none of the spot-ons are very effective against ticks, IME. The oral meds don't kill ticks, neither do heartworm pills. If ticks are a big problem in your area, an amitraz collar would probably be most effective.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Willowy - so do I need to buy Revolution from a vet being it is a med per say? I know we used it years ago but I can't recall where we got it from - maybe online...

I will for SURE look into the amitraz collar, I have never heard of it before. Ticks bites can cause HUGE health issues and we want to avoid those at ANY cost. Our area has a BIG tick issue. Thank you for this info :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hehe, yeah, fleas don't have wings. And I think their exoskeletons are too tough for bug zappers to work. I have seen nightlights with sticky pads under them. . .supposedly the fleas jump at the light and then get stuck. But idk if they work.

Revolution is prescription-only (well, you can buy the Australian version online without a scrip. . .). Most vets will let you buy some without bringing the pet in for a visit, though.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

Daenyers - I have heard of using such things as 100% lavender, tea tree, and/or cedarwood essential oil but ON their skin & I felt VERY uncomfortable doing that. But on his harness back at the neck area I would consider. I actually have tea tree & lavender oil here - tea tree for when our grandkids had lice (yeah bugs like us --- GRRRR!) and lavender to put in my bath water or oil burner for the scent.

You were definitely right to not like the idea of putting it on their skin. It can be used if diluted, but you should NEVER put 100% essential oil directly on the skin as it will likely cause bad reactions! The on the collar/harness/whatever method is completely safe, though. What I do is take off my dogs' collars, put the oil on the outside (as in, the side that doesn't touch their skin), and let it sit for about 5 minutes to dry before I put their collars back on.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought they flew lol

OK so we bomb the house - then gathered up anything cloth like that had been left out (did not want to pack up the fleas) to go wash at a laundry mat. Carried Romeo into the house right to the bathroom & bathed him in Dawn, 2 minutes later he is scratching. YEP still has fleas on him. :rant:

BUT while hub was bathing him I went nuts with the vacuum and then took it outside to empty into a bag to toss away.

I am going to keep running the sweeper many times a day and pick them off him (those bugs are fast!) and then Tuesday call the vet.

petco did not carry Revolution. We almost bought another one called =SHOOT! I forgot the name began with a S - any ways it says kills ticks, fleas, fleas larva etc. BUT I hated to spend 50.00 when no one here mentioned it's name.

We have to wait 3 days any ways to put meds on him again after bathing him so by then I can call vet & see what they say.

I think I am going to put essential oil on his harness through while we wait for the holiday weekend to be over with.

Again - THANK YOU to everyone!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
We've got a similar problem this year in Texas. First infestation that I've had in 10 years.
1. I tried Frontline Plus ... reduced but did not repel or completely eliminate.
2. Next, I plan to try Advantix II, b/c it does say Repels!
3. After you wash your dog and/or before apply the flea meds, try brushing your dog twice a day. That may help to stimulate the natural oils in the hair ??
4. Rumors are that Brewer's yeast, B-2, Garlic (toxic?) make the dog stink to fleas... no proof.
5. There was a suggestion to use Diatomaceous earth and Orange oil ... but I don't know applications or warnings.
6. I like the Tea Tree, Pennyroyal, cedarwood, mint oils ... with careful use:
I don't know about cedarwood oil, but pure cedar oil is toxic. Tea tree and Pennyroyal are common for external use, but toxic if eaten... or licked.
7. Long ago, we used to use Sevin dust on the carpet and then vacuum, as well as dusted on high traffic areas in the yard/fence.
8. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and check out Ortho Home Defense Max to deal with your neighbors. It's not expensive and you can spray it on the baseboards ... all over the building :) The container says that it is safe after drying for 30 minutes.

Let us know...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Seriously, save the time and money and just get the comfortis. I spent close to $200 a month for 4 months. Frontline, advantage, sprays, shampoos, yard powders. Just dose with comfortis, and they will be gone. if any leftover hatch, they die within the hour.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hank - Thank you SO very much for info.

Julie - I am going to ask vet about it on Tuesday but right now trying to get info to stop them from totally taking over our home (again) until I talk to vet & am able to act on what she says. I honestly forgot to write down the name to check for it while at petco. GRRR!!!!!!

For now I am going to brush him (very good idea -TY!) and put the tea tree oil (I only buy 100%) on his harness and vacuum and clean like a wild women!!!!!

All pet stores, vets, businesses closed until Tuesday. Tuesday can't come soon enough!!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Not sure if someone else mentioned this already, but add some diatomaceous earth (at home depot/farmsupply stores) to your vaccuum cleaners collection "tank" before you vaccuum. It can also be good to sprinkle straight on your carpets/rugs and vaccuum up a few days later.

I also second the comfortis.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Comfortis and Revolution are prescription-only. That means you have to get them from your vet; PetCo won't have them. I do think Comfortis would be best in this situation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts