Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a 12 week old Bluetick Coonhound and brought her home last night. I have two other dogs (a 65 pound lab/pointer mix and a 5lb chihuahua). I discovered last night that the new baby has fleas!

The place I adopted her from kept the dogs primarily outside and they were often used and trained for hunting so I am sure this is where the fleas came from.

Every article I read that talks about flea bombing, bathing, chemicals, vacuuming a thousand times a day....seems to make me feel worse and worse. Is this really going to be such a difficult ordeal to remedy?

Although I have other dogs, they have always been primarily indoors and I have never had a problem with fleas or ticks. The new pup is in her kennel and I am keeping her away from the other 2 dogs for now until I am able to get to the store.

Any suggestions on the fastest (and hopefully not most expensive) way to effectively kill these fleas before they get anywhere else in my house or onto my other dogs?

Please help!:doh:

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I understand it's worse down South. So maybe my experience will be different. . .but I've never had any trouble with fleas getting out of hand when I do what I do.

This is what I do: get some good-quality spot-on flea meds (non-vet-quality meds like Hartz are toxic and generally ineffective). Advantage seems to work best against fleas for me. But it doesn't kill ticks, so if you have ticks another brand would be better. Revolution is also good, but you need to get it from your vet. Frontline seems to have lost much of its effectiveness in some places, so I wouldn't recommend that. If you don't have cats, K9 Advantix is an option (it's very toxic to cats). Also get some Capstar (best prices on Amazon). Give the Capstar first, then apply the spot-on flea meds to every pet in the house, and give Capstar as needed. Wash the dog beds in hot water. This works most of the time.

If the fleas have gotten into the carpets, get a flea collar, cut it up, and put it in the vacuum cleaner bag. Vacuum your house thoroughly. Under the furniture and everything. Vacuum daily (just the main areas after the first day) for at least a week.

Doing this, I've never had to bomb/spray the house. But the climate up here is different, so no guarantees. I hope you don't have too much trouble!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
^^ Ditto.. and may I also add that we use Dawn dish soap for fleas when we bathe. Smothers them and is super gentle. =] Other than that, I tend to use the natural solutions for spot treatments, carpet powder, yard spray..etc. Even though there is much controversy over Nature's Guardian.. (Hours on google.) It has been a wonder for my house! Fleas have vanished since!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I agree with everything above. My only suggestion is to do everything at once so they can't hide anywhere. In one afternoon, bathe and treat the dogs, put all the bedding in the washer (along with everything else that may be harboring the little buggers), then vacuum - to prevent them from hiding somewhere you didn't get at that time. I would resort to bombing, etc as a very last resort.
For topical treatments I would get something that is also good for ticks - if they have plenty of fleas chances are good that there is a tick or a bunch of ticks in the mix.

When I had to eradicate ticks (there were so many they were crawling off the poor dog - I had to sweep up dead ticks every few hours) I put her in a crate and sprayed around it with pesticide to make a perimeter. I will have to look for the brand but it kept the ticks from infecting the tick free parts of the house. You may try that to keep the fleas from departing the dog in an attempt not to die and infecting parts of the house you have already cleaned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your quick responses! I went to my local vet and got several doses of Capstar as well as some Frontline for each of the three dogs. I gave the capstar to my infested new baby and scrubbed her up really well with Dawn. The towel I dried her with was COVERED in fleas. This poor thing was so used to being infested that she hadn't even been itching at them!
I also stopped at the holistic dog store and picked up an organic flea spray from Natural Chemistry. I sprayed this all over the puppy's kennel, around the hardwood floor immediately surrounding it, on the pup's most troubled spots (this spray is designed for pets and for their bedding as well), such as her pits, belly, and feet. I treated the other two dogs with the Frontline and am still keeping them away from the new baby.
I also used the flea/tick killing spray inside the vacuum cleaner (bagless), and vacuumed the whole house more than once (more than twice actually).

I'll let ya'll know if this seems to work.

Also... if you know of anyone in the Charlotte, NC area looking for a Bluetick Coonhound, please let me know! I took this sweet thing in as a foster and Im hoping my other half may let me keep her indefinately but just in case, I want to keep my eyes open for a good quality home for her. I am not looking to sell the dog despite her absolutely outstanding pedigree but would ask a rehoming fee to make sure she is going to a reputable home and reimburse the expenses for the flea treatments.

She really is the sweetest thing ever! Pictures don't do her justice! 2011-09-07 21.20.11.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And we've got ticks too! Good thing I followed up the Capstar with Frontline.... Thanks again for the support. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Good luck with the flea and tick treatment!! And oh my goodness, she is gorgeous!!

7thart, the natural flea sprays and topical treatments have always worked for us..they're significantly less expensive and I don't feel as guilty using them as I do the other stuff...you know..I feel like I'm exposing them to less chemicals!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts