Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have laminate (looks like hardwood) floors and I have a flea problemin my home. I have never treated a home with this kind of flooring and wanted to know if anyone on here had any suggestions or how to eliminate this problem. They are bouncing around like they are last year, but my animals have them on them and i just treated all 4 of them today. I have two dogs and two cats. Thanks :)

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
Aside from treating any gaps along the walls, this is the easiest type of flooring to deal with.
Use diatomacious earth or a salt and baking soda mixture along the edges (by the baseboards) and treat your furniture and any area rugs.
First, wash ALL bedding (dogs and yours), wash any washable rugs, vacuum along the floor and vacuum any furniture and non-washable rugs. Seal the vacuum bag and put in an outside trash can. Then put down the d.e. or the salt/soda. If you use baking soda and salt, vacuum and replace every few days.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just from my experience, I recommend the food grade diatomaceous earth (stores sell DE in some pool sections; you don't want that kind). Co-ops and feed stores sell the food grade type, which is what you want, at least in my area. My brother and sister in-law have tried to treat their carpets with the salt mixtures, and none of them were effective at all. Though, perhaps they weren't using baking soda, and that was the problem?

If you use a vacuum, I've also had excellent results putting one of those super-toxic-would-never-put-on-an-animal flea collars in my canister or bag to kill whatever fleas/eggs get sucked up.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
If you use a vacuum, I've also had excellent results putting one of those super-toxic-would-never-put-on-an-animal flea collars in my canister or bag to kill whatever fleas/eggs get sucked up.
This is not such a good idea. All vacuums exhaust into the air, and vacuum bags and filters do not filter out chemicals - only dust and other particles. Although these chemicals are reasonably safe when applied topically - such as in a "flea collar" - they are not safe in an aerosol form.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts