Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to cry. I have tried Frontline drops, and weekly flea baths. My little one has them so bad that he doesn't even play anymore cause he is too busy itching. My vet just tells me to keep the flea baths and drops going. What I can't figure out is I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, but only one of the dogs has them this bad. my other dog has a couple, but nothing that is outrageous, and the cats don't seem to have them at all. Please send any suggestions my way, I'm at my witts end with these fleas!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I want to cry. I have tried Frontline drops, and weekly flea baths. My little one has them so bad that he doesn't even play anymore cause he is too busy itching. My vet just tells me to keep the flea baths and drops going. What I can't figure out is I have 2 dogs and 2 cats, but only one of the dogs has them this bad. my other dog has a couple, but nothing that is outrageous, and the cats don't seem to have them at all. Please send any suggestions my way, I'm at my witts end with these fleas!
I'm dealing with this problem myself, I just moved into another rental house the people live here before me left their fleas eggs behind. I been researching info about fleas for the pass 2 weeks.

First of all you should treat the yard and house first then, Vacuum carpets, floors, rugs, drapes, upholstered furniture, mattresses and cushions. Use a vacuum with a disposable bag and dispose of it by incineration or sealing in a plastic bag. Pay attention to dark spaces, cracks and around baseboard, it said to vacume floor for at least 10 days straight.

These eggs hatch into legless larvae. The larvae spin a cocoon and, depending on environmental conditions, emerge as adults in as few as five days. You have to control the fleas life and egg cycle and that can take at a minimum - 3 - 4 weeks with the right pest control products.

You should get a product not only kill fleas & ticks but also kills the eggs. From what I read, flea eggs don't live on the animals, they end up dropping off onto your carpet and cracks in wood floor. And stay until the condition is right for the larve to hatch out. The cycle beginnings all over again.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Does that dog actually HAVE more fleas than the others, or is he just itchier than they are? He might have a flea bite allergy. Ask your vet about treatment options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would talk to your vet about some new oral medications they have out on the market now. I have had great luck with a product called comfortis.(keep in mind it does not protect against ticks) Mylove4dogs has really good suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've treated the whole house, and 90% of the yard, the dogs don't go in most of it due to the fence. The vet said that he is fine and just to continue the baths and drops. I vacuum daily anyways due to 4 furry ones in the house. The bags get dumped straight into the dumpster outside. And I do believe that the little one has more, I see them and pick them off of him constantly while the other dog I might get one a day if that. I will try talking to the vet again. Thank You so far guys and girls.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Animals with weakened immune systems are more likely to be badly infested with fleas. I reccomend garlic. Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, repells fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes, it kills and prevents all internal worms exept heartworm, and it strengthens the heart and immune system. It is very inexpensive too. In my area, it is about $5 for a jar of minced garlic that would last about a year. Most chemical treatments only work if the flea bites the dog, the dog still suffers from the bite, and s/he still tracks them into the house. Garlic scents the blood (only parasites can smell it) and the parasites don't even come near. doasages depend on your dog's breed/weight. Also, in your yard, you can try flea control nematodes. http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=2779&sid=100308&eid=&bhcd2=1248835822Dust your house in every nook, cranny, couch, and carpet with a mixture of salt, borax, and diatomaceous earth. The diatomaceous earth has sharp particles that slice the flea open, and the salt and borax dry out the flea. This mixture does not harm the eggs and larvae, so it will take a few weeks to months of weekly treatments and vaccuming to rid your house of all the eggs, larvae, and adults. Let it sit a couple of hours, and then vaccum up. It is best if you and your pet are elsewhere while it is sitting. It is not toxic, but it is not good to breathe any kind of powder for too long. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Animals with weakened immune systems are more likely to be badly infested with fleas. I reccomend garlic. Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, repells fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes, it kills and prevents all internal worms exept heartworm, and it strengthens the heart and immune system. It is very inexpensive too. In my area, it is about $5 for a jar of minced garlic that would last about a year. Most chemical treatments only work if the flea bites the dog, the dog still suffers from the bite, and s/he still tracks them into the house. Garlic scents the blood (only parasites can smell it) and the parasites don't even come near. doasages depend on your dog's breed/weight. QUOTE]

So do you feed it to them? Does this also work on cats? We are working through a major flea infestation and i was looking for something that will keep them off once we have completely killed every single one. My dog is around 60lbs how much would i give her?

·
Registered
760 Posts
We had the same problem a few years ago with frontline we went through 3 tubes in one month on one dog and it didn't help at all we switched to K9advantix and within 24hrs they were all gone and never had a problem since my vet says it's possible the fleas are starting to get immune to the frontline and it's good to switch ever so often!

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I haven't used frontline for years. I think fleas have become immune to it in a lot of areas of the country.

Advantix is a better option (though I don't think you want to use that if there are cats in the house). I also recently tried Comfortis and it's done a great job killing fleas.

Our dogs get a small amount of garlic in the summertime, in addition to apple cider vinegar as a 'natural' attempt at flea control as well. Not sure if they have any effect or not. But, we've *knock wood* never had a flea problem. Garlic can cause anemia in dogs so you want to be very careful in how much you give. Many owners avoid it altogether b/c no one really knows how much a dangerous amount is...seems to vary from dog to dog.

·
Registered
301 Posts
ask your vet for a few days worth of Capstar! THat stuff is wonderful!!! It starts working within minutes!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
ask your vet for a few days worth of Capstar! THat stuff is wonderful!!! It starts working within minutes!
we use that stuff too but i has to be used in conjunction with another topical treatment bc it doesnt last but 24 hours. I have also noticed that it is very harsh on my dog... she itches and pants and basically goes crazy... i know its only helping but i wish it didnt affect her so much :(

to the OP if these are primarily inside dogs and you cant seem to get the fleas under control you may need to look into getting your house proffessionally "bombed"... sometimes its the last resort to killing all the fleas in your house. We have also successfully used some powders and sprays in conjunction with daily vacuuming to kill them (pm me if you want the names of the stuff we use) the only problem is you have to be able to keep kids and pets off the carpet for a few hours while the stuff works.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pittsabowawa, I do feed my dogs garlic. I feed a little food with garlic and the rest plain. This eliminates garlic breath. Yes, it can be used for cats, 1/4 to 1/2 clove per day, depending on cat's weight. For a 60 lb dog, I would say about 1 and 1/2 cloves per day. Yes, garlic has a toxic ingredient, but you would have to feed it in massive quantities for it to harm them. It does not cause anemia to my knowledge, my dogs have been on it for years without problems. The stuff really works and is very beneficial.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
thanks eastcoastwesty.. i will try that out on my animals.. trying it cant hurt. We're at wits end here... GA has the perfect weather for fleas and we've had an infestation every summer for the past two years. Glad to see there is something less chemical to try.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Garlic powder in the food, bath ALL the animals with Dawn dish soap (the plain blue stuff) and go through their coats with a flea comb.

Go to the Grocery store nad get a HUGE box of 20 Mule Team Borax and sprinkle in ALL the carpets and upholstery (it dries out the eggs and larvae) and spray the yard with nematodes from a garden center (Nursery specialty, Lowe's and Home depot will NOT have them).

While you're at the garden center, pick up some pure neem oil, it's a natural insecticide nad can also be used on the animals as well as in the yard and house (in the steam cleaner) it;'s even used in soaps for humans (great for skin infections). On the animals, use 2T per gallon ofwater with a couple drops of dish soap and sponge on as a dip. If can be left on the dogs, but I'd rinse it off the cats after five minutes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We use the Borax, vacuum all the time, bathe them constantly with the Dawn soap, sprayed the yard with chemicals, NOTHING WORKS!! We feel like we are going crazy and feel horrible for our dogs. Intrigued about the garlic idea. I have minced garlic and powder. How much to give them? We have 4 dogs. Range 20 - 40lbs. i guess? We have a Jack Russell Terrier, Japanese Chin, Rat Terrier and a Bassett Hound. And an outside cat.

Thank You for your help/suggestions.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I never thought general health had a lot to do with fleas but since the dogs have been on specially designed real food diets fleas and ticks are less of a problem than before. Here in southern California fleas are year round but haven't been a severe problem ever as it is so dry I imagine. Maybe using the best food you can manage and using a topper to further improve the diet could help.

And way, way out there. Sassy is now wearing a pretty raw amber necklace that is supposed to repel fleas and ticks by the slight smell and a build up of static charge. I really think an essential oil treatment would be more effective but it sure is pretty! I bought it for looks, if a single tick is repelled I will be surprised.

I have used diatomaeous earth for 20 years against ants. Borax didn't work for my ants but DE hasn't failed me yet. It is more hazardous for the lungs even if you do use the only sort acceptably indoors, food grade.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Juniper, the key is the Nematodes and the Neem oil.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Juniper, a 20 lb dog would get about one clove per day of fresh garlic or the equivelent in minced garlic. Garlic powder does not work for parasites. a 40 lb dog would get 1 1/2 cloves of garlic or the equivelent amount of minced. For an in between dog, just average it out.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It's important to remember as well that if you've had a bad infestation that you will 'see' what seems to be a reinfestation before the problem is actually eliminated. The pupae stage of the flea's life cycle is pretty much impossible to kill..so with the treatments you will kill the adults, the eggs and the larvae but the pupae stage still hatches when the time is right (after maturing the hatching happens whenever vibration, warmth and CO2 are nearby, in other words a warm blooded mammal happens to walk by).

So...often what people think is a reinfestation is simply the 'end stage' of the cleanup..this is why it is important to continue with the flea routine for at least a couple of months and use a flea product with both an insecticide and a pymethrin.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts