Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we found a flea on Mumble. We're treating him with Frontline today so that should be that, but I'm wondering about his bedding?
I don't know how long fleas have been living on him (I only noticed some scratching the past couple days, but who knows?) and so I'm paranoid that the fleas could be in/layed eggs on his pillow and blankets in his crate.
Is this a thing that can happen? What should I do to make sure his bedding is clean?

As a note, I applied Frontline last month, but I think I did something wrong. I parted his fur and applied it directly to his skin, but a lot of it seemed to run up the strands of his hair and he had a big greasy spot on his back. Today I'm going to try to hold the fur upwards to keep gravity out of the situation.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
As far as I know, if the fleas can't find a suitable host, they die right away, so really, if the Frontline works, you're fine. However, that's kinda gross, so I'd wash the bedding in hot water and vacuum everything else.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear. I was going to wash and clean everything anyway, but I wasn't sure if it would take some crazy drastic measures to exerminate the possible fleas/eggs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Absolutely wash the bedding, you can kill the fleas and eggs by washing the bedding in hot water, I also put it in the dryer on high, for double insurance that they are dead. A thorough vacuuming, several of them a day apart, will help too, it's one of the most effective ways to keep fleas down in the home. I haven't found Frontline to be that effective this year, so just in case, I'd do the bedding and keep watching for fleas. I have a flea comb that I check the animals with regularly (if fleas are to be found, I usually find them around the head or the lower belly, inside their back legs). We had such a bad time with fleas this past summer, that I want to catch them very EARLY in an infestation...once they get all over the house and yard, it's a lot of work to get rid of them if you don't want to use scary chemicals, and sometimes even if you do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts