Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys :wave:,
I was wondering what you all use in terms of flea (and tick) preventative and why.
I've seen both the use of a collar and topical, I myself use a topical.
What do you use?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It really depends on your area. In some areas, topical flea meds are effective. In my area, which is Western Washington, they really aren't. So I use nexgard.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
What Chimunga said! I use Frontline Plus which is a topical for ticks. We never really have a flea problem besides when our dog was first adopted as a pup and she was on Frontline from the shelter and the Vet gave us Revolution at the same time to do a complete job of getting rid of fleas. We did have one year that ticks were pretty bad and the Frontline didn't control them for the full month ... Vet said to give another dose at 3 weeks in.

Unfortunately both fleas and ticks seem to becoming immune to the stuff in Frontline so something else may be needed in different areas.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I started using Comfortis, another oral type flea pill, when Ginger came here super itchy due to fleas and just out of spay surgery. So far so good, been 3 years. She is allergic and has been fine on the stuff. Frontline topical was messy and some months didn't seem to work well. I haven't used flea collars since the 1970s and really disliked them back then although at the time it was far better than messy powders that didn't last long. If I was concerned about ticks I would consider a collar as Seresto can knock down ticks as well as fleas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have to agree with you about that idea of fleas and ticks somehow becoming "immune" to whatever is in Frontline and Frontline Plus.

Once I was petting my dog and she was on Frontline Plus, somehow the ticks were able to stay on her for quite some time until I popped them off, somewhat concerned me seeing that they're supposed to prevent such things from happening.

I am now thinking about possibly switching over to an oral although that's not as common within pet owners. Not sure if it'll work as well, we'll see though.

Thanks for telling me about how your oral pill works for you, I've been thinking about switching my dog over to one and see how that goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in the Midwest so definitely would need some sort of stronger flea and tick preventative.

You're lucky that you don't have such an issue though!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do any of the flea/tic products really do what they claim, for as long as they claim? I live in northern NJ, and my dogs don't get into areas where there are tics. I'm not really sure about fleas. We don't take them to dog parks where contact with other dogs is frequent, although when walking the one dog, he does have occasional contact with other dogs.
I have been using "PetAction Plus", which is a generic FrontLine Plus product. I don't like administering it, as it is kind of messy. I have my doubts as to how effective these products are, and whether they are really safe for our dogs, and ourselves.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Do any of the flea/tic products really do what they claim, for as long as they claim? I live in northern NJ, and my dogs don't get into areas where there are tics. I'm not really sure about fleas. We don't take them to dog parks where contact with other dogs is frequent, although when walking the one dog, he does have occasional contact with other dogs.
I have been using "PetAction Plus", which is a generic FrontLine Plus product. I don't like administering it, as it is kind of messy. I have my doubts as to how effective these products are, and whether they are really safe for our dogs, and ourselves.
The short answer is yes, they work. Frontline does not repel ticks and fleas but is supposed to kill them as they walk through the fur and/or bite. When we adopted Zoey she was full of fleas and the Vet noticed that because Zoey was treated at the shelter the fleas were not acting normal. The Vet gave us a couple of months worth of Revolution so Zoey could get the benefit of that medication. The long answer is that they may work but it depends on your area as was noted above. Will the generic version work ... can't say. As far as messy, Frontline and Frontline Plus leaves a "spot" on the dog where you treat them for about 48 hours but it's not greasy.

Depending on where in Northern NJ you live you may have to worry about the deer tick, I live by Trenton and have deer coming around every so often along with other wildlife so we make sure our dogs have protection.

You don't need another dog to give your dog theses pests - they survive naturally in the environment. My backyard sometimes has a lot of ticks and then I spray he yard to kill them.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ginger and Sassy are allergic to fleas and will scratch and bite bloody spots into their rumps if fleas are present. With flea drops or pills they don't do that. The stuff works.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that FrontLine Plus does repel tics, as the generic "PetAction Plus" says that it does. Maybe that's the difference between the regular and the "plus" product.
We don't live in an area that is frequented by deer, but we have had groundhogs, and of course lots of rabbits and squirrels. We have had a deer or two on rare occasions, but I never saw them in our yard - only across the street.
I keep the grass and weeds trimmed low, which hopefully keeps tic populations to a minimum.
So, I guess I'll keep on treating our dogs with the FrontLine Plus or the generic, at least while the temperature is above freezing. With climate change, I'm afraid we will be having warmer winters, and extended summers, which will only help to increase the insect population.
Maybe I'll look for a "natural" or at least less toxic insecticide to spray on the weeds and grass, but of course it will have to be something that is safe for the dogs. There must be some natural predators for tics and fleas.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
We use Advantage because it's what our vet sells and it works. They have Advantix which is for fleas and ticks, but we don't have many ticks around here (yet).

Just stay away from any cheap products like Hartz flea collars, they are actually toxic to animals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts