1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya

im looking for flea treatment advice

ive got two pups - 1 husky, 1 mix

I used K9 advantix on them both about 3 weeks ago, it worked for about a day and a half, then not at all. Two weeks later, I put it on again because my vet said I could... again, worked for a day, then nothing.

I have all hardwood floors. I vacuum EVERY day - religiously. With two dogs, I have to. I spray my baseboards with Enforcer flea stuff and I even spray some of the cracks in my floor where I can see the ground below (its an old house - i live in New Orleans - all the houses are raised a bit off the ground for obvious reasons)...

anyway - i just CANT get rid of them. They aren't COMPLETELY infested right now. They were last year and it took everything I had to get rid of half of them (including foggers) - luckily the cold weather killed most of them, but now it's getting warm again and they're coming back in full force..

my mix has short coarse hair - he seems to do ok on the advantix. My husky however, it seems like nothing penetrates her at all. I cant even use a flea comb on her because her hair's too thick . The good thing is I can pick them off when I see them as her hair is white (see avatar photo)...

Any product suggestions would just be fabulous.. I dont want them to get miserable :( They're scratching a little bit now, but I know soon it'll be nuts.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
You can get Capstar from your vet. It's a 24 hr flea pill that kills all the adult fleas that are on your dog when you give it. If you have a large infestation then a weeks round for the both of them would be recomended. I belive it comes in boxes of 6, so a box for each dog should do. Also bathing both dogs and any bedding/clothing/toys/etc. that they are exposed to with Dawn Blue dish soap will kill the fleas. It has to be the Blue soap uncented, for some reason the other dish soaps don't work. Remember not to get any soap in thier eyes. You may also want to try Frontline or Advantage if the Advantix isn't working.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Comfortis, Comfortis, Comfortis!!! You can get it from your vet and it is a once a month chewable tablet and it works like a dream. You can give it to your dogs and in 30 minutes you will see the fleas just falling off, dead!! It cost about the same as K-9 Advantix but it works so much better. I live in Florida where we always have fleas (they are not seasonal here, they are residents!) and I have tried everything under the sun and nothing works like Comfortis. It is very safe and very effective.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be careful with otc flea products as most of them contain chemical insecticides that can cause liver damage and other problems – both for your pet and for you.

I use Canine Target Spray for Fleas because is a herbal alternative and is a highly effective insect repellent and preventative. I bought it online here: http://www.petwellbeing.com/dog-fleas-p69.cfm

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally do not think the K9 product works as they advertise and would recommend trying a new product. I put it on my dog last spring and although no flea problem, she had ticks all over her! This is 2 days after putting it on. I waited as the vet instructed, applied again, ticks on her belly, legs, one even between the eyes which was fun to remove :eek:!

The vet contacted the manufacturer who basically said it was impossible and it is 99% effective on both fleas and ticks - but obviously it was 0% effective both times I used it. The nurse at the vet mentioned trying a collar - said vets don't recommend them because they are more toxic - but mentioned if you remove them and place them in a baggie when the dog is not primarilly outside, it will be both effective and safe for doggie. I haven't tried it yet but plan to when the weather gets warmer. Perhaps this idea would work for you too.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Also maybe look into having someone spray your yard for fleas..It helps to kill them everywhere
I agree with this especially under your house. The larvae may crawling under the house and coming back in through the cracks in the floor boards. Here is a great product for flea control.

http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B00076HUEQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239806943&sr=8-1

It also comes in a yard spray.

http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Yard-Spray-32-oz/dp/B000KNKHVE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1239806943&sr=8-3

A great link for flea control.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef602.asp

Make sure you are emptying your vacuum every time you vacuum. Also clipping a very small spot on your husky so that you can get down to the skin and apply frontline plus or advantix will help. With the thick coat you may not be getting to the skin.

Starting the "battle of the flea" now before it becomes a major infestation is very wise on your part.

I hope this has helped. I wish you luck. Let us know how things turn out for you and your fur kids.

One more thing the foggers are not that great. They lay on top of things not under them (where they hide) and do not get into closets also where flea larvae tend to hide. Also they love cracks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Comfortis, Comfortis, Comfortis!!! You can get it from your vet and it is a once a month chewable tablet and it works like a dream. You can give it to your dogs and in 30 minutes you will see the fleas just falling off, dead!! It cost about the same as K-9 Advantix but it works so much better. I live in Florida where we always have fleas (they are not seasonal here, they are residents!) and I have tried everything under the sun and nothing works like Comfortis. It is very safe and very effective.
COMFORTIS- I have 2 allergy dogs, It works..........

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I use Frontline from my vet and it's worked great for my two! It is usually given monthly, but the box says it can be dosed every 2 - 3 months if used for fleas only (not ticks, etc.).

I also use Sentinel, which is a heartworm prevention pill with an added benefit of sterilizing fleas that bite the dog. Between the two treatments, I was able to eliminate a pretty bad flea colony that Willow originally brought in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts