Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Okay so im having a flea problem with my short hair daschund Skittles.

I still see fleas on my dog.
Ive already got flea medication from the vet which they gave me a pill to give him and the liquid you put on the fur. Both is for 1 month. I dont think either is working.
We washed everything in the house. I still see fleas on him and he is still scratching and itching.

What else can i do for him?
What have you guys done in the past that worked for your dogs?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
What's the flea medication called? And how long have you been using it?

It may be worth it to have a professional come in and destroy any flea infestations inside your house. They can hide in the carpet, on furniture, etc.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It's possible that flea medicine is not effective. I've changed the treatment I use. A simple bath with ordinary dog shampoo easily kills fleas on the dog but it has to be a severe infestation for fleas to be found on the dog.

Agree with Lillith, a professional treatment of the house and yard might be the best thing here. Look into borax or diatomaceous earth inside and flea parasites for outside. Giving him a flea combing every time he comes in the house might catch fleas before they jump off inside your home and deposit eggs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The vet gave you an oral and topical medication to use at once?? That's a lot of chemicals!

I would suggest adding an all natural flea spray. I used this in conjunction with NexGard.

http://diydogmom.com/diy-projects/diy-fleatick-spray/

And you will continue to see fleas on your dog until you get rid of the fleas that are living in your house. If its that bad bring in an exterminator or buy some flea bombs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having a similar issue. We noticed fleas on our dog 4 months ago. We were given a pill that works a bit like Capstar - the initial dose should kill all the fleas on the dog within 48 - 72 hours, and the medicine itself should continue to work to control fleas for the remainder of the month. I just gave her the third dose since that time and she still seems to have fleas. She is not scratching anywhere near as much as she was...in fact, she scratches maybe only once every few hours, which may just be normal scratching. However, I have continued to find dead fleas on her every so often. It's usually only one, maybe two per week. We brush her out with a flea comb regularly and never find any other fleas. Now I'm worried whether we are picking them up every time she goes outside, or if they are in the house. We have hardwood flooring everywhere, the only place they could be is our beds and the couch. I've thoroughly cleaned the beds and sprayed down the couch, so I'm not sure what else there may be. The brand of the pill is Simparica.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dogs pick up fleas when they go out. If you have a yard that cats and squirrels visit then fleas will be out there. Not fleas but one time Sassy stuck her head in a weedy bush and came out with 4 ticks, am sure fleas could be just as numerous.

I found maybe a dozen fleas on Sassy in the 16 years she was with us. She scratched even if a flea combing picked up no fleas. I did see flea poop when she was scratching though. Fleas spend very little time on the host, they just feed poop and jump off to digest and lay eggs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts