Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about what flea preventatives are safe to use on my dog since I also have little kids in the house. I've been using Frontline Plus just because I always have, but I would like to make sure it is safe.

Also, does anyone know anything about the other topical flea stuff that says it has the same ingredient as Frontline? I can't remember the name of it, but I'm a little suspicious of it anyway just because it's sold at Walmart. My Mom bought some for her dog, and if it's not safe to have the kids around I'll have to ask her to put the dog up when we are over there.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Frontline is also sold at Walmart, isn't it? Either way, it has the exact same ingredients. I use it on my dog and it works wonderfully and saves me a pretty penny.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I used to use Revolution, which is great, but I wanted to move away from the topicals. I really like Sentinel. It's in (chewable, flavored) pill form, it seems to work great, and I don't have to worry about anyone touching the application spot or about the dog getting wet right after treatment. I think it's also a bit cheaper than Revolution.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Another vote for oral flea meds. No mess, no opportunity to wash it off, and it's SO much more effective than topicals. I'll never go back.

One warning: some oral flea meds MUST be fed with a full meal. Side effects can be nasty otherwise.

·
Registered
692 Posts
All my dogs are on Trifexis and I love it. It covers all the worms but tape and it does the fleas. It doesn't do ticks though so if you have tick issues you would have to use something else. My vet said that here in the south you need to use different products maybe 1/2 the year use X and the other 1/2 use Y or rotate it each year because of the over use of some products fleas have built up a tolerance to the product and they don't work as well.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about what flea preventatives are safe to use on my dog since I also have little kids in the house. I've been using Frontline Plus just because I always have, but I would like to make sure it is safe.
All flea preventatives, whether topical or oral, contain an insecticide, and all insecticides have to be treated with respect. To be extra safe with kids and anyone with a compromised immune system, avoid prolonged contact for 24 hours. A little touch or pat isn't going to be a problem. Just avoid hugging, nuzzling, or whatever. That's probably overkill but better to be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts