Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need opinion on flea medicines. My vet sells sentinel, but I'm wanting to use Trifexis. I hadn't gotten Trifexis from Petsmart before without seeing the vet, but they won't let me do that anymore. I had seen fleas on my dogs when taking sentinel, but not with Trifexis...but they had been taking that through the winter, and Sentinel in the summer, so that may be the reason. Which do you prefer or what do you use?

I like the idea of Trifexis killing the actual flea, where Sentinel doesn't do that - it kills the egg.

Also, would you buy flea medicine online? I've heard 1-800 pet meds sells old medicines, so kind of hesitant to buy from them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Do you live somewhere that fleas are a huge problem, or is your dog outside all the time? I don't bother using monthly treatment because it's a waste of money. If I see a flea, I'll use something for a month. The vet gave me Vectra and it's done the job just fine the ONE time they got fleas- we moved into a house where the previous occupants had a dog and it apparently had fleas. After one month I haven't seen another flea and that was in October.

I haven't had issue with 1800 pet meds. I always check the exp date on everything, it's never been expired. I got Advantage Multi for my cats from them, as when I fostered feral/baby cats I didn't know what they might be bringing into my house. Worked great.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Trifexis is a combination of two exsisting products. Interceptor for heartworm and intestinal parasite-Comfortis for fleas. It does not kill ticks nor does Sentinal. It is a prescription medications. I have used both products and have had no issues. I currently use Interceptor and Frontline plus for my large breed dogs and Advantage Multi for my small breed dogs (they are not outside enough to worry about tick exposure.) Don't know where you live but where I live the winter has been mild and wet. We are expecting a "bumper-crop" of ticks and fleas this year. We were pulling ticks off unprotected dogs (vet clinic) in the past few weeks unheard of in March in our area in previous winters.
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/diseasesall/a/befreeoffleas.htm

·
Registered
394 Posts
Fleas and ticks are a common year round problem where I live. I'm not able to use Trifexis because of Shiloh's seizures, so we stick with Frontline Plus for fleas & ticks and Intercepter for heartworm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts