Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using frontline on my dogs but reading up all the side-effects wasn't very comfortable using it.

Used it on my lab still, but the schnauzer I have to bath almost every week and even though it says its effective I was finding ticks on him.

My vet now has given me Vectra and says it covers broader spectrum of bugs and has less side effects.

So which ones do you use and how effective do you think they are??? If you do not use Flea and tick med.....what do you use to protect them??

Thanks

Sangel

·
Registered
529 Posts
Advantix II

Repels and kills ticks. Most topicals only kill ticks once they've attached. Well I'm mainly concerned about the tick-borne diseases that can transmit once they attach so it kind of defeats the purpose if they can still attach. Has worked great for a year now. Never had any fleas and haven't found any ticks (either on the dogs or on the carpet...). As far as side effects we haven't experienced any. Since it is a topical you need to be careful after it is applied that kids are not rubbing their faces on the dog or whatever.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Advantix II

Repels and kills ticks. Most topicals only kill ticks once they've attached. Well I'm mainly concerned about the tick-borne diseases that can transmit once they attach so it kind of defeats the purpose if they can still attach. Has worked great for a year now. Never had any fleas and haven't found any ticks (either on the dogs or on the carpet...). As far as side effects we haven't experienced any. Since it is a topical you need to be careful after it is applied that kids are not rubbing their faces on the dog or whatever.
Ditto! We've had great success with Advantix.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I typically use Frontline, though I use it as sparingly as possible, usually every 2-3 months, and I have never had trouble with fleas/ticks. I also add brewer's yeast to my dogs food as that is supposed to help prevent fleas.

I have not had good luck with Advantix, and if you have cats, it is toxic to them, so it isn't recommended for use in households where dogs and cats mix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently adopted a bulldog who has scars along his back from spot on treatments like Advantix and Frontline. After doing a little research I was horrified to find other dogs who had the same aversive effects to these treatments that we, as dog owners, have put our trust in. These are poisons! In an effort to find an alternative, I came across Wondercide (www.wondercide.com); they offer a safe and natural alternative to spot on treatments. I Ordered EVOLV and use it on my pup as needed and haven't seen a single flea on him. They also have products to treat your home and dog bedding incase you are trying to get rid of a current problem. Seriously, I feel like this website gave me hope when I had lost it all. I would encourage anyone who loves their dog to check it out, it is WELL worth it!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I tend to use K9 Advantix in the summer-time when ticks are worse and Frontline the rest of the year. I really am not totally comfortable with the permetherin in the Advantix, and if it's so bad that it could kill cats, it does make me question what I am putting on my dog. So I am more comfortable with Frontline but it doesn't seem to work as well in the summer, although this year I did not have a big problem with ticks. Gave him an Advantix on July 1st and JUST now on September 28 gave him a dose of Frontline.... no ticks all summer! Crazy. I avoid it when I can and since I wasn't seeing ticks, I guess I just forgot. But with all the rain and wet grounds, I was thinking they may start coming back in the humidity? But maybe I'm wrong. Oh well, better safe than sorry. He had Lymes disease once already so I try to avoid those little buggars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts