Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering if I should put my 11 week old puppy on flea preventatives. We live in San Francisco and we won't be going to any highly populated areas any time soon since he has not received all his shots. I've been looking up brands and K9 Advantix II seems like something I would be interested since it repels mosquitoes and I don't plan to put him on a heartworm preventative. I've heard a lot of horror stories about dogs developing neurological problems and other problems after using K9 Advantix. What should I do?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've been wondering if I should put my 11 week old puppy on flea preventatives. We live in San Francisco and we won't be going to any highly populated areas any time soon since he has not received all his shots. I've been looking up brands and K9 Advantix II seems like something I would be interested since it repels mosquitoes and I don't plan to put him on a heartworm preventative. I've heard a lot of horror stories about dogs developing neurological problems and other problems after using K9 Advantix. What should I do?
We're in the same regional area & I expect the flea/tick situation is similar in SF to HMB. I've used an herbal flea and tick repellant since the spring and I haven't seen a flea or tick on Molly. It's by Pet Naturals: http://www.petnaturals.com/vitamins_supplements/flea-tick-repellent-dogs-cats-spray.php

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious about your decision on the heart worm preventative.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't spoken to my own vet about the heartworm preventative, but my coworker's vet said that the heartworm rates in SF are very low since it doesn't stay hot enough for them to develop in mosquitoes. He said that as long as your dog is an indoor pet and will not travel to regions where heartworm is a problem there would be a low chance of them becoming infected. I heard that the heartworm preventative would kill preexisting heartworm larvae, so I think I will end up putting my pup on it for at least a while just in case he caught it in Sacramento. I also really like the idea of a natural flea/tick repellent! I don't like the idea of putting chemicals on my pup, so I'll have to look into natural more. I really want something to repel mosquitoes too since I don't want to use heartworm preventatives... I guess I'll have to have this discussion with my vet before I decide.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use Frontline Plus on my dogs. I had used K9 Advantix for a year and then one of my dogs, Shiloh, had a reaction to it that was obviously neurological. The ER doctor said he sees quiet a few cases from K9 Advantix. Shiloh ended up having to stay at the emergency room overnight. Thankfully he was alright, but I'll never do K9 Advantix again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've been looking up brands and K9 Advantix II seems like something I would be interested since it repels mosquitoes and I don't plan to put him on a heartworm preventative. I've heard a lot of horror stories about dogs developing neurological problems and other problems after using K9 Advantix. What should I do?
Ingredients:

Active ingredients: Imidacloprid 8.80%, Permethrin* 44.00%, Pyriproxyfen 0.44%. Other ingredients 46.76%. *cis/trans ratio: max 55% cis and min 45% trans.

This heavy dose of permethrin has been the cause many reactions in dogs.

I use frontline Plus for flea prevention.

oldhounddog

1 - 5 of 5 Posts