Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

I have a question for the group about flea treatments. My dog has pretty significant contact dermatitis from flea bites. She has also developed a reaction to both Frontline and Advantage, and because she seems to react to everything, I hesitate to give her the pills for fleas. If any dog would have a fatal reaction, it would be Scout.

Does anyone know of a resource for alternatives?

Thank you and stay cool out there!

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Just some ideas--

Any overlapping ingredients between the flea meds you have tried that she might be reacting to instead of active/main ingredient?

Could she have MDR1 drug sensitivity?

A collar might be an option because if she reacts to it, it can be removed and she could be bathed to reduce its effects but its still not like immediately being able to remove all trace of flea meds.

You'd want something to repell not just kill after the bite. Advantix 2 maybe if no cats in the house (same active as Advantage though). Or try for a different active ingredient like in Revolution which is selamectin

·
Registered
180 Posts
You might also want to Google homemade flea control or, look into natural sprays and preventatives. Fleas can be controlled naturally but, it takes a daily effort, applying the repellent to the dog, washing bedding in HOT water, and, cleaning and treating your home for them daily. It's work but, if that's the only option left for the dogs, then it's what you do.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Good morning!

I have a question for the group about flea treatments. My dog has pretty significant contact dermatitis from flea bites. She has also developed a reaction to both Frontline and Advantage, and because she seems to react to everything, I hesitate to give her the pills for fleas. If any dog would have a fatal reaction, it would be Scout.

Does anyone know of a resource for alternatives?

Thank you and stay cool out there!
Have you tried a Seresto collar? Good for 8 months. They do a pretty good job

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Ask your vet if Bravecto is appropriate. On the other hand, you might also look into food grade diatomaceous earth to help out, dusted into her coat.

Ask the vet about both of these approaches.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Food grade diatomaceous earth works like magic but you have to be on top of it, that is, treating the house daily, well it doesn't work well with water so if you use water to clean the floors or patios, once they dry off will have to pour the diatomaceous earth again. 4 years ago I had a severe problem with fleas, my dogs were suffering, I use diatomaceous earth for the house and frontline for the dogs, it worked pretty well but it was a 2-3 month process. Just remember, it has to be food grade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts