Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I currently have a 3 year old German Shepherd who suffers from skin problems. Not sure what exactly the problem is(the vet never gives a straight answer, just wants you to spend $$) He has flaky, rashy skin and scrathes/chews at himself all the time! We thought it might be food allergies, but we've tried all kinds of dog foods, Grain free, salmon, lamb, even blue buffalo and nothing has showed a difference in his skin! I was researching last night and I think he might have a sort of eczema going on, so I read up on flaxseed. I was wondering if anyone has tried adding Flax seed to their dogs diet and if you noticed a difference in there skin/coat? Also which is better, ground flaxseed or flaxseed oil?
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I tried a supplement that contained ground flax and HATED it. Huge smelly soft poops, yuck. Some dogs do fine with it, not Sassy!

Try fish oil first. Try increasing fat content of the food very carefully for better skin health.

Could be fleas. Sassy was allergic, even though I probably saw a couple dozen in 16 years they would land, bite and jump off. If you put a damp white paper towel under the dog's butt and give a nice scritch and see tiny dark specks that dissolve into a reddish ring you have found evidence that a flea bit the dog.

And environmental allergies are more common than food allergies anyway. My vet gave me a long list of human grade antihistamines I could try for a minimum of 6 weeks to see if they helped. No luck with Sassy but Raymond responded brilliantly to Benedryl. We happened to find that he was allergic to grass as a camping trip high in the mountains resulted in no meds needed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I tried a supplement that contained ground flax and HATED it. Huge smelly soft poops, yuck. Some dogs do fine with it, not Sassy!

Try fish oil first. Try increasing fat content of the food very carefully for better skin health.

Could be fleas. Sassy was allergic, even though I probably saw a couple dozen in 16 years they would land, bite and jump off. If you put a damp white paper towel under the dog's butt and give a nice scritch and see tiny dark specks that dissolve into a reddish ring you have found evidence that a flea bit the dog.

And environmental allergies are more common than food allergies anyway. My vet gave me a long list of human grade antihistamines I could try for a minimum of 6 weeks to see if they helped. No luck with Sassy but Raymond responded brilliantly to Benedryl. We happened to find that he was allergic to grass as a camping trip high in the mountains resulted in no meds needed.
we have a pug who has environmental allergies, plus he does not do well with soy or corn.....hence raw feeding which took care of the food.

we wipe him down with Apple cidar vinegar which helps with the environmental allergies, plus we make lung patties with a little acv in that too. and it helps.

we also feed a finger nail size bit of raw local honey, un pasteurised, unheated, etc....and that has helped most of all.

we experienced the same issue with flax, which i'm sure you know is a bowel irritant, plus it's plant based....

we also added in pure salmon oil capsules from vitalchoice.com and we feed sardines a few times per week, along with herring and mackerel....

helped him out so much, he is barely allergic now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts