Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a 2 weeks ago we had a dog come into the clinic with her lower lip torn away from her jaw. It started at the one front canine tooth and ended at the other side the second molar. You could see her jawbone and all the muscles underneath. The amazing part about it was that there was no blood. Well Doc sutured the lip back onto the jaw and believe me it was touchy because there is not a lot of tissue on the jaw to attach the lip too. (She was lucky because when she ripped it she just missed severing a major nerve we could see it). Looked pretty good when he was done but he was worried that it would not hold. Well that girl was in on Tuesday and you cannot even tell that anything happened. We were so glad to see her and that the sx was a success. Her name was Lucky and believe me her name suits her!!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The amazing part about it was that there was no blood.
Some things are funny that way, I once got my hand in the radiator fan of a car and sliced my index finger from the back of my hand, down my finger to the second knuckle to the bone, tendons/ligaments diced exposed and bone showing and all.

I though it would bleed like crazy, but it almost didn't bleed at all!

It was actually pretty neat seeing my knuckle bones and cartilage and tendons all exposed and flexing my finger... Until I started going into shock over it for a second and almost passed out. ;) It still doesn't close up all the way though, tendons are bit shorter now I guess, and can be a bit painful.

Glad it all worked out for the dog, I'd have been worried the dog would rip the stitches back out before it healed up.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I just love happy endings! :) Was this dog in a fight with another dog?
No she got caught while digging under a fence. It ripped the lower lip. She certainly was lucky that there wasn't more damage.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
wow!! i am so glad that she is healing well! great work you guys did :)

(after i read that i had to do a little "gross out dance" you know the one where you squiggle around a bit - i don't "do" mouth/teeth injuries! :eek:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Wow, amazing that the dog healed up! That kind of injury could have really affected the dog's quality of life... great happy ending!

after i read that i had to do a little "gross out dance" you know the one where you squiggle around a bit - i don't "do" mouth/teeth injuries! )
I'm like that with eyeballs (squirms)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts