Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're fostering five GSD puppies (we returned mama to the shelter last week and she was adopted in one day!). They are about 10-11 weeks, and as you can imagine, they go wild when they greet me after I open their enclosure in the morning or when I come back.

I'm trying to get them to stop jumping up so much when they greet me, so I either lift my leg and push them off balance, and they fall back or sideways. If they continue, I either ignore the offenders and maybe do or do it again, then ignore any of them that continue the behavior and show attention to the ones that are not jumping up. Sometimes I fake a loud, sharp yelp as if they hurt me, which I also do when they get bitey.

Is this a good strategy? I feel bad when they fall down (and I emphasize, it's not harsh or even as rough as they experience when they play with each other).

I asked a similar question last week, and the suggestion I got was to put the offenders in a Time Out pen. I tried but I'm finding that with 5 nutty furballs and sometimes they're all "attacking" it's hard to make it work. Thank you/

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I would stand behind a baby gate and ignore all the puppies. Rapidly deliver a treat to any puppy that happens to stop jumping. I'll bet you can get the whole crowd of puppies sitting in a few minutes.

Also, at 10-11 weeks of age I would imagine that they should be looking for homes...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have a gate but I can rig something. Thank you. (They go back to the shelter at 12 weeks to be spayed/neutered and put up for adoption).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts