Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1881 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know there are quite a few fish folks here. I thought it might be fun to start a thread we can all build on and share our fish stories.

As many of you know, I started a fish tank almost 7 weeks ago already. I started with only 3 Tiger Barbs but have since added a few more Tiger Barbs. Yesterday I added 2 Blue Gourami, and 2 Gold Gourami and a Black, Red tail shark. So far the shark is hiding in the plants but the Gourami are swimming about and seem perfectly comfortable with the Tiger Barbs. I am glad to finally have some additional fish in the tank.

Oliver couldn't be happier watching them. He will literally stare at these fish for hours. This is better then doggy TV. :D

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Ooh... You have to put up some pictures of your new fishies! I wish you lived closer because there is a blue Gourami (female) on my craigslist that needs a home. I can't put them with my bettas because my tank is too small and they don't mix at all anyways.

4 of my fish are sick :( One has Ich (a parasite that looks like salt granules) the other three have Velvet (another parasite that looks like dust). They aren't acting sick but I know they'll go south quickly. They're all in treatment now. The three with velvet are in a tank together which I assume is why they've all got it. I thought one of my fry tanks had ich but it was a false alarm (thank doG ) the babies would probably have died if I needed to treat them.

My current fish total is 19 bettas (6 females, 13 males) and several fry. I just adopted one fish that I thought was a female who turned out to be a male (oops!) and I'm adopting one more male who is a king betta (which means he's part giant and really big :D) and also adopting/buying another pair to breed from someone who is getting out of breeding. That will bring my total up to 22 bettas! My mom recently bought a 20 gallon tank and will be taking two (maybe 3) of my males to put in it (divided of course). That is it for fish for me until I have more room.

Bella is oblivious to the fish but my cats, Malo and Pretty, are in hog heaven. They each pic a tank and spend all day sleeping on the warm hood.

ETA.. I forgot to mention. My foster fish, Merlin, found a home! He's going to a great girl that I've adopted a fish to before so I know he'll get awesome care. Now I'm currently checking craigslist, etc to possibly find a new foster. I make sure to always have 1 tank open for a fish in need.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well Enga, I was on my way to read about flying the flag thread when I saw this one, I just could not resist responding first here! I am a moderator on another site that deals with fish, specifically one fish in particular, the C. Frontosa. But you must have a 100 gal or more size tank to make these fish happy. I have a 400 gal tank, and it took me three hours this morning to clean and do a water change.

Tiger barbs can be real nippers as I feel you know, so having five or six of them will keep them chasing each other around and hopefully leave their tank mates alone. What size tank are you keeping your fish in? I am going to try and post a picture for you of my male alpha frontosa, he is over 15inches long and for sure rules the nest. I have been keeping fish since a little boy, find it both relaxing and enjoyable to watch! I am glad you have the interest as well!!!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
My poor tanks are still in flux post-move. I thought moving a 29gal 300 miles was bad...moving my current lot a mere 30 miles was infinitely worse lol.

Current tanks:

90gal
Freshwater lightly planted. originally a saltwater tank (previous owner), I built a DIY baffled filter for it. In this last move I converted from that filter to a DIT wet/dry sump which I think will be easier to clean and require less maintenance on my part (yay!).
Flora: Java Fern, Anubias, Java Moss
Fauna: 2x Geophagus surinamensis, 5x Rosy Tetra, 2x Pictus Catfish, 2x Featherfin Syndontis Catfish, 1x Royal Panaque, 7x Giant Danio, 3x Siamese Algae Eater

29gal
Freshwater fully planted.
Flora: Amazon Sword, Java Fern, various Anubias (coffeefolia, nana, some others), mini chain sword, two types of vals, and several plants that I've collected at various swaps whose names I can't remember offhand...
Fauna: 3x Kuhli Loach, 1x Bolivian Ram, 5x Guppies, 2x SAE

10gal
These guys will be moving to a 20L as soon as I finish it...going a little overboard (again).
Flora: Java moss
Fauna: 4x Shellies (sunspot brevis)

6gal
Flora: Duckweed
Fauna: Crowntail Betta

Also have an empty 29g and an empty 10 sitting around...hm...

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well Enga, I was on my way to read about flying the flag thread when I saw this one, I just could not resist responding first here! I am a moderator on another site that deals with fish, specifically one fish in particular, the C. Frontosa. But you must have a 100 gal or more size tank to make these fish happy. I have a 400 gal tank, and it took me three hours this morning to clean and do a water change.

Tiger barbs can be real nippers as I feel you know, so having five or six of them will keep them chasing each other around and hopefully leave their tank mates alone. What size tank are you keeping your fish in? I am going to try and post a picture for you of my male alpha frontosa, he is over 15inches long and for sure rules the nest. I have been keeping fish since a little boy, find it both relaxing and enjoyable to watch! I am glad you have the interest as well!!!

That is an impressive looking fish. I think he is the Rottweiler of the fish world. ha ha Gorgeous but can be intimidating to people who don't know about them. lol Bob, I would love to have a huge Cichlid tank. I love the Jack Dempsey's, I like the look of Texas Cichlids too. There are so many fish I like. If I had the funding, I would have several larger tanks set up with different fish and decor. I just find them so peaceful. Well, now that the tank cycle thing seems to be slowing down. lol

Wow Shaina you have really expanded. I also had a 29 gallon that I did nothing with. I wish I could have a 400 gallon like BobSD, that would be cool. Then for sure I would do my Cichlids. For now all I have is the 60 gallon set up.

Anyone know if Gourami tentacles grow back? One of the Blue Gourami's has a half of a tentacle on the one side. Was like that right away, I can't blame my Barbs for that. :)

Pitts, I will try to get some pictures. The Gold ones are fairly nice size already but the blues are pretty small. They are really blue though now in my tank. At the store, they were not real colorful. They have already changes quite a bit.

Edit to add: Quick pics of the new fish. Turns out fish are much harder to photograph then well trained dogs. ha ha Especially the new to the tank guys that are a bit skittish as of yet.
These pics do not do them justice. Their colors are absolutely brilliant in just a day in the tank.

First, here is Blue. One of the 2 Blue Gourami's is a very curious little fish and will come to the glass and stare right back at me the whole time I try to watch them. I like that personality in a fish.

Next the more elusive Gold. Oddly enough, much more territorial in the tank already and about 4 times the size of the Blue

Then just to show how much more brilliant the Tiger Barbs have gotten in just a few short weeks. I fear they are already reaching sexual maturity in this short time. The boys seem to be already fighting a bit and their color is really vibrant right now. The red, gold and black very defined and bright.

I am going to have to just sit by the tank one day and experiment on how to take good photos of them. Patience, I think, is the key. I will have to practice that too. :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gorgeous! I really like the look of the Blue Gouramis. I might have to get some of those one day.
Thanks, at first they kind of creeped me out but now, I really like them. The little blue one is such a fascinating little guy. The Gold ones are kind of bullies but I fear they are already trying to set up their home in the tank.

Now I will be staying busy changing out some of my silk plants for real. I had so wanted to do cichlids but have decided to go in a different direction. If only I had figured that out first, I could have saved myself about $75.00 in crappy looking fake plants. Not to mention I need to at least partially change the substrate now. Grrr!

I would love to see other people's fish. I know there are many of you that have fish on this forum. Anyone want to share them?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I can share some pics :)

This is my sorority. Currently it has 5 females but I'm hoping to add 2 or 3 more.

This is my newest adoption. I thought he was a female and named him Annabel Lee (like the poem), turns out he's a boy. His new name is General Lee (didn't put much thought into it LOL). He's still a little skinny but is fattening up nicely.

This is Zorro. He was an impulse buy :eek: I got him about a month ago and he's doing well. I love how you can see he is smiling in this picture LOL

I'm actually adopting one more fish, he should arrive next week. After him I won't be getting any more fish for a while since I'm at my limit.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is Zorro. He was an impulse buy :eek: I got him about a month ago and he's doing well. I love how you can see he is smiling in this picture LOL

I'm actually adopting one more fish, he should arrive next week. After him I won't be getting any more fish for a while since I'm at my limit.

They are all so pretty but this guy is WOW! I love the colors. I do like his little smile too. Funny how some fish seem to enjoy attention and others run for the hills. Ok, swim for the plants and caves. ha ha Is it only the males that don't get along with others?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Thanks :) He didn't look like that when I got him, he was very dull. Once he colored up he was absolutely gorgeous.

Bettas don't really get along in general but the females you can keep together in groups of 6+ (I only have 5 currently because one of my girls is sick :(). They fight to establish dominance the first day or so but after that they generally get along pretty well, there's the occasional nip and chase but all in all they're ok. You can get some girls that are too aggressive to be in a sorority but most girls are mellow enough to be kept together.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Oooh Pitts, I really like your betta sorority. I want to try one of those someday. My betta boy, Tiberius, died recently so I'm currently fishless. Mom says I can't add any more long term pets because we're moving next year(hopefully), so I'll be trying my hand at Triops... do they count for this thread? They're aquatic... :)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oooh Pitts, I really like your betta sorority. I want to try one of those someday. My betta boy, Tiberius, died recently so I'm currently fishless. Mom says I can't add any more long term pets because we're moving next year(hopefully), so I'll be trying my hand at Triops... do they count for this thread? They're aquatic... :)
Absolutely! :) Can't wait to see them.

I'm getting a Betta tomorrow, and then hopefully one from pitts whenever they're ready, can't wait to post pics!
I can't wait to see your Betta, Hallie. What color are you getting?

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Well, we're in pre-move mode and have sold a lot of fish and cut back a lot in the fish department to save money and time recently until after we move. I've also had a lot of new snail infestations and deaths randomly, so I'm trying to recover from that too. Here's what I have running now, in storage, and planned for after the move.

55 community
Mopani driftwood, terra cotta pots, red ludwigia, hornwort, java moss, slate, black gravel.
Penguin 350 bio-wheel. 1.3wpg.

1 Marble Angelfish, female.
1 Opaline Gourami, male.
5 Albino Corydoras.
2 German Blue Rams (breeding pair).
1 Kribensis.

45 semi-aggressive pirate tank
Lego pirate ship, lego tower, hornwort, amazon sword, black sand.
Tetra Whisper power filter, .6wpg.

6 Tiger Barbs.
1 Red Tailed Shark, female.
6 Odessa Barbs.
1 Blue Mystery Snail.

30 gallon
Driftwood, terra cotta pots, slate, Java Moss, micro sword, hornwort, pool filter sand.
Tetra Whisper power filter, 2wpg.

1 Yellow Lab, male.
1 Raphael Catfish.

29 gallon
Mopani driftwood, terra cotta pots, hornwort, natural gravel.
Tetra Whisper power filter, 1.3wpg.

3 Calico Bristlenose Plecos, male male female.
1 Raphael Catfish.

10 gallon
Driftwood, terra cotta pots, hornwort, java moss, jungle vals, red ludwigia, amazon sword, flourite.
Top Fin power filter, 2wpg.

2 Guppies, male.
4 Swordtails, male male female female.
5 Swordtail fry.
Cherry Shrimp.

Then in storage, waiting for the move I have-

10 gallon tank x4
6 gallon
60 gallon
5 gallon
34 gallon x2

Once we move we're buying another betta from Thailand, an angel breeding pair, a lot of badis badis, a lot of dwarf gourami, a lot of dario dario, and we're getting rid of all the snails, replanting/scaping, and finalizing all the tanks.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy smokes, your house must be a little like living in an aquarium. I think that must be pretty neat to have all those tanks set up. I saw a 125 gallon on craigslist today and had to chain myself to the wall so I didn't go get it. I understand the addiction part of it. ha ha

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Haha, when mts hits, it hits hard.

I have to restrain myself from cheap ads on craigslist for tanks and equipment all the time. I almost bought my bf a 125 for his birthday last year but refrained myself from spending so much at the last minute.

Not all of my tanks are at my house though, either. I got my boyfriend into fish, so technically a couple are his tanks, but I stocked them, I maintain them, I condition them, and I breed them. He just has to feed and gets to watch them, basically, but still, our houses are a mess. I have three tanks in my bedroom right now and only two have fish in them, and one in my dining room. There's one in my boyfriend's dining room, and then another in his room. We pretty much can't go anywhere without seeing or hearing a tank.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Yay Hallie!! Welcome to the betta addiction :D

I'm also bad about stalking craigslist for deals. Luckily I have 0 money so its not that hard to resist LOL. There is this one deal for a 120, two 55s, two 30s, and several 10s, PLUS heaters, filters, stands (and canopy for the 120) lights, food, I could go on and on. It also comes with 10 discus (5 valentines 5 blue turquoise) for $1950. Doesn't sound like a good deal but with all the stuff she's offering its a really good deal. If only I had a house to store all those tanks, not to mention the money to buy and upkeep them LOL

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Holy Cow! You guys really are bad. I can see that I need to nip my addiction in the bud or I could have a house full of tanks. ha ha I still think it would be cool to have one room with HUGE fish tanks on each wall. It would be so much fun to watch the fish as you were falling asleep. Not to mention listening to the bubbles. Then again, I am a fussy sleeper, if I could hear the filter motor, it would drive me nuts. The water sound I would enjoy though.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Holy Cow! You guys really are bad. I can see that I need to nip my addiction in the bud or I could have a house full of tanks. ha ha I still think it would be cool to have one room with HUGE fish tanks on each wall. It would be so much fun to watch the fish as you were falling asleep. Not to mention listening to the bubbles. Then again, I am a fussy sleeper, if I could hear the filter motor, it would drive me nuts. The water sound I would enjoy though.
Well, you usually can't hear the filter hum if you keep your water level an inch or two low. :p

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I love the hum of my filters. I can't sleep without them any more. The air pump I could do without :rolleyes: I have 3 wash cloths that are kept folded that my air pump sits on and even then it's still a little loud.

I will always have a fish tank in my bedroom... just maybe not so many LOL

1 - 20 of 1881 Posts