Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been taught, never give a dog fish oils, as it makes them vicious, I'd like to hear all the opinion's on this matter, as it means tearing a page out of handbook that has been in my family for half a century.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Fish oil is good for their skin and coat and joints for arthritis. I give human grade fish oil and my dogs will lick you to death! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm curious as to the supposed action of fish oils upon temperament. lol. anyway, fish oils are fantastic for dogs, rip that page right out!

·
Registered
943 Posts
That's a similar myth that raw meat makes dogs vicious.. it sounds like a ridiculous myth to me.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Max got yucky ears eating sardines and feels better off with whole ones off the menu. Next millennium when the bottle of oil he is working through now is gone I will buy something with no sardine and see if there is any further improvement. Maybe some dogs are allergic to the stuff, don't feel well and lash out.

I tried him off the supplement but he is also has a softer, blacker and lusher fur coat getting the omega 3s.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That's a similar myth that raw meat makes dogs vicious.. it sounds like a ridiculous myth to me.
i'd never heard about fish oil making a dog vicious but i have heard the raw meat one.

both of my dogs are fed raw. they eat real fish.

one is a pug. the other is a corgi mix.

they are both lovers. if anything, their energy is calmer.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Max got yucky ears eating sardines and feels better off with whole ones off the menu. Next millennium when the bottle of oil he is working through now is gone I will buy something with no sardine and see if there is any further improvement. Maybe some dogs are allergic to the stuff, don't feel well and lash out.

I tried him off the supplement but he is also has a softer, blacker and lusher fur coat getting the omega 3s.
you may want to try krill oil...

you may also want to check the oil you're using to make sure there aren't tocopherols...which is made from soy...and if you're feeding sardines from a can, sometimes they are lightly smoked.

or are you feeding fresh wild caught sardines and max is getting a reaction.

anchovies, mackerel, and herring are also good fishes to have. very high in omega 3.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Once they taste blood, it's all over! You know, because dogs can't tell the difference between food and people, and because no fear biting or resource guarding dog has ever been rehabilitated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have always been taught, never give a dog fish oils, as it makes them vicious, I'd like to hear all the opinion's on this matter, as it means tearing a page out of handbook that has been in my family for half a century.
You don't have to tear it out, just ignore it. Although I would double-check any of the info in that book if it said fish makes dogs vicious. It just doesn't make sense, it is a part of a dogs original/natural diet and there have not been any studies done to prove it causes viciousness. What are the book's sources and who is the author?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
As was stated in the other thread: Fish oil is absolutely great for dogs!

Also - some breeds of dogs specifically northern breeds such as Siberian Huskies survived specifically with fish as their primary food source. The Chukchi people of Siberia were a nomadic tribe and fished most of the time - giving fish to their dogs when they had scraps.

My Siberian eats a fish based food and gets fish oil every day for her heart problem. It also helps make her coat healthy.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
As was stated in the other thread: Fish oil is absolutely great for dogs!

Also - some breeds of dogs specifically northern breeds such as Siberian Huskies survived specifically with fish as their primary food source. The Chukchi people of Siberian were a nomadic tribe and fished most of the time - giving fish to their dogs when they had scraps.

My Siberian eats a fish based food and gets fish oil every day for her heart problem. It also helps make her coat healthy.
i can't think of his name, but he watched wolves in kodiak, alaska, right besides bear, catching salmon. it was interesting that they only ate the heads. :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
i'd never heard about fish oil making a dog vicious but i have heard the raw meat one.

both of my dogs are fed raw. they eat real fish.

one is a pug. the other is a corgi mix.

they are both lovers. if anything, their energy is calmer.
Ditto. I saw a guy at a dog park once, on a very tight leash he had with him a wolf hybrid, honestly.. I thought it was a pure wolf but knew better. Anyway, the guy said he would love to feed his wolf hybrid raw meat but he can't because it makes her vicious. He says when she eats kibble she is fine... I dunno, it just sounds "fishy" to me, but I'm not an expert.

My Shiba has been eating raw his whole life and he's a very gentle, calm and relaxed dog. The Kelpie.. well he's hyper, obviously - I dont think anything can change that lol.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ditto. I saw a guy at a dog park once, on a very tight leash he had with him a wolf hybrid, honestly.. I thought it was a pure wolf but knew better. Anyway, the guy said he would love to feed his wolf hybrid raw meat but he can't because it makes her vicious. He says when she eats kibble she is fine... I dunno, it just sounds "fishy" to me, but I'm not an expert.

My Shiba has been eating raw his whole life and he's a very gentle, calm and relaxed dog. The Kelpie.. well he's hyper, obviously - I dont think anything can change that lol.
sounds 'fishy' to me, too....my friends own a wolf hybrid and the breed is the breed....even raw won't change that...and kelpies are hyper...but think how much more so he would be on kibble :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
By vicious do you think people mean resource guarding? Because I can understand a dog not being "vicious" over dry but definitely being "vicious" over raw because it is has more value.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
By vicious do you think people mean resource guarding? Because I can understand a dog not being "vicious" over dry but definitely being "vicious" over raw because it is has more value.
no....and i'm sorry i'm laughing...they mean that dogs who are fed raw become aggressive and will kill or maim or bite or other such nonsense.

i've seen kibble fed and home cooked fed dogs resource guard.....and that can be trained out....usually.

·
Registered
468 Posts
no....and i'm sorry i'm laughing...they mean that dogs who are fed raw become aggressive and will kill or maim or bite or other such nonsense.

i've seen kibble fed and home cooked fed dogs resource guard.....and that can be trained out....usually.
Ok, I just wanted to make sure they weren't confusing actual aggression for resource guarding. It is silly that people still buy into the raw meat=aggression myth. People would never feed raw if that were actually true, and thousands of people do everyday.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ok, I just wanted to make sure they weren't confusing actual aggression for resource guarding. It is silly that people still buy into the raw meat=aggression myth. People would never feed raw if that were actually true, and thousands of people do everyday.
you make a great point....because there is a difference.

·
Registered
943 Posts
sounds 'fishy' to me, too....my friends own a wolf hybrid and the breed is the breed....even raw won't change that...and kelpies are hyper...but think how much more so he would be on kibble :)
I think you're on to something here.. lol, maybe I should consider feeding him %100 raw diet, rather than kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner lol. Its only the expense that keeps me from doing that but in the end the amount I spend/feed kibble wouldn't be much more to feed a complete raw diet, but its the convenience and also the varieties and nutrients of kibble too.

I think that kibble fed dogs have the potential to be much more high strung than raw fed dogs though - maybe that's just me. Thumpers girlfriend is a Mini Eskimo/Pug cross and she is fed a kibble diet, and she has twice as much energy as Thumper. They will play for hours straight and eventually Thumper will plop down right pooped out on the floor and Leia will still be jumping all over him and biting him. Maybe its the pug in her, I dunno lol.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think you're on to something here.. lol, maybe I should consider feeding him %100 raw diet, rather than kibble for breakfast and raw for dinner lol. Its only the expense that keeps me from doing that but in the end the amount I spend/feed kibble wouldn't be much more to feed a complete raw diet, but its the convenience and also the varieties and nutrients of kibble too.

I think that kibble fed dogs have the potential to be much more high strung than raw fed dogs though - maybe that's just me. Thumpers girlfriend is a Mini Eskimo/Pug cross and she is fed a kibble diet, and she has twice as much energy as Thumper. They will play for hours straight and eventually Thumper will plop down right pooped out on the floor and Leia will still be jumping all over him and biting him. Maybe its the pug in her, I dunno lol.
how many dogs do you have?

agreed on kibble fed dogs...

and, whilst i won't mention the dog food i used to feed, i am entirely convinced my shih tzu dogs' lives were shortened. each and every one of the four i owned had liver enzymes through the roof. it wasn't until later that i found out why.....i shall never fully recover from that mistake and i'm a label reader.

so the cost of raw feeding balanced over the once a year vet visit for a wellness check rather than the four to five times a year when they were on kibble...is worth it to me.

i do know plenty of people who feed kibble half the time and raw the other half...if that's working for you, then good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts