Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be picking up our new puppy at the end of this month. She is a Cavachon weighing about 6-7lbs and will be around 10 weeks old when we get her. My question is my husband and I both work all day so I will definitely be crate training her but not sure if I should train the puppy to go on the pads during the day in an enclosed area with toys and the crate being opened so she can rest or would she do better being in the crate and having someone come in during the day and leaving her out for a mid day potty break? We will be taking her outside to do her business any other time so the pads would only be used while we are gone during the day.

·
Super Moderator
12,147 Posts
Trying to train a puppy to use both pads and go outside is very confusing. Also, a puppy that age will need to go more often than you would think possible. One mid-day potty break is probably not enough.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to train a puppy to use both pads and go outside is very confusing. Also, a puppy that age will need to go more often than you would think possible. One mid-day potty break is probably not enough.
Thanks for your reply but I am just wondering how other people work with pets. I don’t know if I can afford a dog walker twice a day so not sure how to handle this situation. I agree that it probably does confuse the puppy using the pads but I would love to hear how other people that work during the day make it work for them and the puppy.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
It CAN be confusing but it can be done. You might want to look into a less shreddable indoor potty option. They make these plastic grated things that a potty pad goes into, so that the puppy can't rip up the pad. Or fake grass. Or even litterbox training (note - do not use cat litter). There are plenty of 9-5 families who successfully raise puppies. Overall housetraining may take a bit longer, but it absolutely is possible.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
This is what I did because I also worked and got a puppy (3 times actually). All three were house broken quickly.

I set up a pen in my basement with attached kennel (I now have a full size 5'x10' kennel down there). I put a rabbit pan in the pen with cedar shavings. The puppy was naturally attracted to this pan to do his/her business while I was at work.

When I got home, my first order of business was to get that puppy out and play and reward with good food any going to the bathroom outside.

Then I cleaned up the puppy pen and pan and added some cedar shavings.

At this point I brought the puppy upstairs and put her in the crate to eat while I got changed into other clothes.

Then, I got the puppy back out of the crate and got him/her outside. All peeing and pooping out there was rewarded. I did some training and some play. I spent some time.. half an hour to 45 minutes.

Then, back in.. crate puppy and get dinner going.. maybe get puppy out again before sitting down to eat.. crating puppy while I ate snd cleaned up.

After cleaning up, puppy back out. More rewards for poop/pee outside then back in the house. Play and WATCH like a hawk.. any indication of needing to pee or poop, out we go. More rewards...

Crate at night upstairs while sleeping.

Next day, first thing puppy goes out. More play/train. Back in. Feed in crate and get ready for work.

Get puppy BACK OUT reward for pee/poop then put puppy in basement with the rabbit pan set up and go to work.

In 3 puppies I had two accidents in the house (my fault!).

When working I never left any dog loose in the house. I had both indoor and outdoor Kennels. The outdoor kennels were inside a secured fenced yard. Depending on weather my dogs were either in the indoor kennel in the basement or the outdoor kennel in the yard while I was at work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It CAN be confusing but it can be done. You might want to look into a less shreddable indoor potty option. They make these plastic grated things that a potty pad goes into, so that the puppy can't rip up the pad. Or fake grass. Or even litterbox training (note - do not use cat litter). There are plenty of 9-5 families who successfully raise puppies. Overall housetraining may take a bit longer, but it absolutely is possible.
Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I did because I also worked and got a puppy (3 times actually). All three were house broken quickly.

I set up a pen in my basement with attached kennel (I now have a full size 5'x10' kennel down there). I put a rabbit pan in the pen with cedar shavings. The puppy was naturally attracted to this pan to do his/her business while I was at work.

When I got home, my first order of business was to get that puppy out and play and reward with good food any going to the bathroom outside.

Then I cleaned up the puppy pen and pan and added some cedar shavings.

At this point I brought the puppy upstairs and put her in the crate to eat while I got changed into other clothes.

Then, I got the puppy back out of the crate and got him/her outside. All peeing and pooping out there was rewarded. I did some training and some play. I spent some time.. half an hour to 45 minutes.

Then, back in.. crate puppy and get dinner going.. maybe get puppy out again before sitting down to eat.. crating puppy while I ate snd cleaned up.

After cleaning up, puppy back out. More rewards for poop/pee outside then back in the house. Play and WATCH like a hawk.. any indication of needing to pee or poop, out we go. More rewards...

Crate at night upstairs while sleeping.

Next day, first thing puppy goes out. More play/train. Back in. Feed in crate and get ready for work.

Get puppy BACK OUT reward for pee/poop then put puppy in basement with the rabbit pan set up and go to work.

In 3 puppies I had two accidents in the house (my fault!).

When working I never left any dog loose in the house. I had both indoor and outdoor Kennels. The outdoor kennels were inside a secured fenced yard. Depending on weather my dogs were either in the indoor kennel in the basement or the outdoor kennel in the yard while I was at work.
Thank you for the advice. Sounds like a feasible plan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply but I am just wondering how other people work with pets. I don’t know if I can afford a dog walker twice a day so not sure how to handle this situation. I agree that it probably does confuse the puppy using the pads but I would love to hear how other people that work during the day make it work for them and the puppy.
I'm going through potty training with my 3 1/2 month min pin and I am around all the time. I think she pees at lease 10 times a d ay a poops at least three times. I have the plastic tray that is supposed to hold down the pee pads and it does do that. However my pup just uses her piranha teeth and grabs it in the middle and shreds it at times. It is a tough job that is still ongoing for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts