Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know post puppy blues is normal but I guess I'm just looking for some support it'll get better and some tips to help my new pups separation anxiety.

So my story is I adopted a 8 week old German shepherd a few days ago. Potty training is going really well and he's letting me and my partner know whenever he needs to go outside.

He was taken from a litter of 10 and his mum so the first few nights have been rough. I'm getting a crate to start crate training today. Although he already settles himself pretty well if he can get to us and can settle in his bed and I'm hoping the crate will help this.

My main issue currently is his crying and whining. Neither myself or my partner can leave the room for any amount of time without him crying for us. He sometimes even does it when we are in the same room as him. His needs are all met he has access to water and doesn't need to potty. Is this just him getting used to his new place?

I'm worried because both my partner and I work full-time but different hours. It means that he will be by himself most days from 7:30am - 12:30pm. I was considering leaving him in my huge backyard but I'm worried he will cry for 5 hours and annoy the neighbours... my only other option is to lock him inside with puppy pads in a safe space making sure his crate is there with him.

Ideally both of us would like to spend more time letting him get used to his environment and gradually increasing time away but unfortunately this isn't possible....

·
Registered
549 Posts
I would not leave a puppy alone in the backyard. I'd put him in a puppy proof place with the crate too (I'm not sure he'd go on the pads unless he's been trained to), and just transition to the crate once he's old enough to hold it for 5 hours.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
A lot of large breed puppies can hold it in the crate for a shorter work day. I've had to do 5 hours a day with my puppies before with zero issues. They usually settle (eventually) and go to sleep. Real life happens and sometimes you don't have the luxury of a slow intro. I've always had to crate puppies right away and hope for the best. But when you do finally get home it is time to work on it.

I would start working on making the crate the best place in the world. Look up "crate games". Cookies for going in the crate and/or meals in the crate. Put some yogurt or peanut butter in a kong and freeze it. Give it to him when you put him in the crate to leave. It's pretty normal for puppies to cry and throw a fit at first when you start leaving them in the crate. You can't let them out every time they scream though or they will learn that screaming = they will come back and let me out. They eventually get used to it. It is also the safest and best for potty training to leave them in a crate when you leave.

I had one that found comfort in the crate from day 1. The other screamed in it for about a month but the amount she screamed became less each day. Both will willingly go into crates to this day and have no crate issues.

The hardest part is always adjusting to the puppy and the new routine. It does get better. If you can find a positive based puppy class in your area I would recommend signing up. I find it is great support for first time owners if they can find a good class.. but not all classes are created equal. It's also great skill building and socialization for the puppy.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
This is totally normal and it will pass. Puppies are just not used to being alone. Dogs, as a species, aren't used to it and they need to be taught that it's a safe and normal part of everyday life. It is rare for a puppy NOT to deprive their owners of sleep for the first few weeks (yes, weeks).
I would recommend leaving the pup with some easy food toys in his crate and draping it. Make sure the sheets don't touch the bars or the puppy can pull the sheets through. A piece of wood just slightly larger than the area of the crate can help with this, if it's a wire crate. Invest in some good ear plugs, or listen to some calming music.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with all the others with the suggestion of crate training, I’ve been training my puppy to like the crate since day one. He will now come inside and go straight to his crate, because he knows that crate=yummy treats. It also makes potty training so much easier, Odin has only ever had one accident, and that’s only because I didn’t drag my butt out of bed fast enough. For potty training make sure your crate is only big enough for puppy to stand, turn around, and lay down comfortably. You don’t want them to be able to go to one side to do their business, and be able to sleep on the other side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts