Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to the board members/readers!

I am new to the forum as I am also new to being a dog owner. We recently got a rotty/lab/shepherd mix from a rescue shelter. He is a lot of work as everyone knows puppys are but I did a lot of research before getting him and I continue to read and research every day. I want to be a responsible owner for my sake and his. In just the week and a half that we have had him I have him sitting on command, laying down following "sit" with some coersion of a treat being lowered to the ground, and we are making serious headway in the create training.housebreaking so I think so far things are going well. He cries when we put him back in the create but so far he stops after a few minutes if we close the door and leave the area - if he hears us then it continues longer obviously.

I do have a few questions if you folks would be so gracious to answer for me I would be forever greatful. I will start with just 1 here for now as to not create a lengthy post.

Is there any advice I can follow when boarding him/leaving him with friends or family during vacations as to reduce his anxiety and ensure he doesnt resent us when we get back? I plan to leave him with some of our clothes for the scent but is there anything else I can do?

Thank you for your time reading this and I look forward to reading and interacting with you in the months/years to come with my dog Nittany!!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs are very social and adapt well to others showering them with attention and affection. They don't get 'resentful'. They get nervous when the rest of the pack leaves the room...'abandoned'...isolated. Separation from the pack can be a very vulnerable/perhaps dangerous situation to be left in. As puppies grow older they learn that being alone is OK...they have the confidence, maturity and experience to handle it. Teaching the pup how to handle being alone/building the confidence takes time/practice.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nittany? Are you a Penn State alum by any chance?
Great name.
My dog suffers from separation anxiety too, even now that she's a year old. She freaks out when I leave to go take out the trash!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bring things he is familiar with. When we bring our dog to family's houses to stay we bring his crate, bed, toys and even bowls. he will feel more comfortable having familiar items surrounding him.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bring things he is familiar with. When we bring our dog to family's houses to stay we bring his crate, bed, toys and even bowls. he will feel more comfortable having familiar items surrounding him.
Yeah, we did the same thing when we had to bring Gir over to my sister's house for a long weekend. We brought her crate, blankets, toys, and food/water bowls.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Can we not over-use the term "separation anxiety" which is an actual medical condition that some (very few) dogs have? Barking when you leave the room and actual separation anxiety are not the same thing.

I have no idea if JSporty1's dog has actual separation anxiety, and without a vet's confirmation, I can't comment on the situation. But that said, as for the OP...

Yes, at first puppies don't like being left alone, and they may whine and cry and bark when you leave the room. Believe me, it happens to most of us and most of our dogs get over it. There are a few steps you can take to lessen the barking and crying, though. Leave the dog with a stuffed and frozen kong, leave the dog with one of your t-shirts, take the dog for a long walk before you leave... these things will occupy/wear out your dog enough that you can leave without drama.

Eventually, the puppy grows accustomed to your leaving.

As for boarding the dog, well, my dog loves her day care facility. Love it. We can leave her there if we have to go away for the weekend. We took her there when I had surgery and we both needed to be at the hospital all day and didn't get back until about 9pm. Every single time she loves it. Try doing short visits (like mornings when you are at work) and then maybe all day and by the time you are ready to leave the dog overnight, it will be OK staying the night.

But perhaps you are putting the cart in front of the horse, unless you plan on leaving the pup within the next few days, there are probably more pressing matters regarding raising your dog.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I probably shouldn't have used the term separation anxiety without an actual confirmation. All I know is that when I leave she whines and barks. My fiance says that when I am at work, she won't play with him and she will barely leave her crate. Once I get home, she is very eager to play, wags her tail, and won't leave my side for at least 20 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts