Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heil,
I'm married, we don't have a child yet.
i have a home in suburb area with a farm and such, and also one in the town.
in winters the temperature drops down to 5C at the lowest and doesn't exceed 40C in summers, and if it goes otherwise it is very rare.
it is 28C now in midsummer.
it is also humid as we're located in southern regions of the caspian sea.

i want a dog which is large or (preferably) normal sized, heat and cold tolerant, low shedding (my wife is somewhat allergic), playful, affectionate, high energy, watch dog, (maybe) herd the cattle in future, ...

we will take him for walk and work in town and rural areas, going to seaside and forest on weekends, hiking, ... thus i want him to be fearless, agile and protective as we may encounter single wolves, dogs or wild boars and jackals, even bears and leopards! (although very very rare or almost impossible, it is not unlikely to happen though).
so he may bark and fend them off or if needed, help me fight them !

for this i really really like hounds such as Vizsla and Weimaraner, ... i'm lost for Aussie Cattales too.

i've done my homework but not completely!
so, what's your suggestion,
what breed suits me the best?
how much do they cost?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Well fortunately many herding dogs share those qualities you are seeking. An Australian cattle dog (ACD) would be a good fit for those criteria. They are not always an easy dog to raise though and might be a bit much for a first time owner. They were bred to herd cattle specifically so they are very tough and definitely fearless dogs. And being herding dogs they are very high energy and agile. ACD are very loyal to their owners and would no doubt try to defend you from any threat. I think it would be a very good fit for you.

A collie (rough or smooth) might also be a good fit. They do well in cold and warm weather (yes even the rough collie can handle warm weather). They are athletic, high energy, make very good watch dogs, and very affectionate. The roughs blow their undercoat twice a year, other than that they don't really shed much. The rough also needs brushing once a week. They are also very protective of their owners. While they aren't known to be fighters they are large, strong, and fearless. They were originally bred to work sheep but they could be trained to herd cattle as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks for the quick reply man,
i do like Collies pretty much aswell. there are just so many breeds out there!
how powerful and protective Rough/Smooth Collies are compared to ACD? and how about Airedale Terriers?
how much do these breeds cost?

@prntmkr: why? they are all low shedder breeds aren't they ?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
No, Collies and ACDs are BIG shedders, lol.

Cost depends on the individual breeder. You don't want to skimp on a breeder, because if you get a puppy from a pet store or a breeder who doesn't do all the proper genetic health testing, you'll probably end up paying more in vet bills. But that doesn't mean that every good breeder charges a lot. It's just a very individual thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
so vizsla is the most suitable so far huh?

right, thats a no brainer to me as I'd never buy from a backyard breeder or a pet shop.
any other breeds that aren't hard to find/get ?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
We don't know which breeds are easy/hard to find in your area. It's really variable.

The Viszlak I've met have all been somewhat soft and neurotic. Not suitable for personal protection at all. Maybe a Rhodesian Ridgeback? They were bred to defend against lions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doberman, GSD, Great Dane, Boxer, Husky, ... are available in my area but the breeders are somewhat unreliable.
i'm planning to import the dog from a reputable breeder.
I was considering RR too as with other pointers. GS pointer, Coonhound, ... .
i'm still a little confused : )

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Oddly, this is one of the few times I am going to suggest a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

75-90 lbs is normal/midrange (some males are larger, some females a little smaller), short coat (they shed, but not insanely), heat and cold tolerant, high energy but calm inside, smart, the "guard dog" of the hound breed, easily able to do a 10 mile full-on run or a day of hiking (hills and fast paced, so long as it isn't very hot), powerful but generally good disposition towards both people and dogs. A tendency towards protectiveness that can be encouraged (or not). Not fearful in general.

Caveats are: High energy (yes, you say you want this, but in mild to cold weather, expect a minimum of 2 hours of strong exercise). Can become over-protective. Hound nose (takes work to be trustworthy off leash). Strong prey drive (may chase to kill cats, chickens, rabbits, and other small game)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
many thanks i appreciate your response man : )
shouldn't i go with Weimaraner? they're pretty similiar i think.
may i ask what breed is in your avatar/sign? seems like a Boerboel <3

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Weims are retrievers, not hounds. I don't think they're similar to RRs at all, except maybe in their exercise requirements.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oddly, this is one of the few times I am going to suggest a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

75-90 lbs is normal/midrange (some males are larger, some females a little smaller), short coat (they shed, but not insanely), heat and cold tolerant, high energy but calm inside, smart, the "guard dog" of the hound breed, easily able to do a 10 mile full-on run or a day of hiking (hills and fast paced, so long as it isn't very hot), powerful but generally good disposition towards both people and dogs. A tendency towards protectiveness that can be encouraged (or not). Not fearful in general.

Caveats are: High energy (yes, you say you want this, but in mild to cold weather, expect a minimum of 2 hours of strong exercise). Can become over-protective. Hound nose (takes work to be trustworthy off leash). Strong prey drive (may chase to kill cats, chickens, rabbits, and other small game)

I second the Rhodesian Ridgeback suggestion. Also could work for dedicated first time owner. I grew up with one and for my parents it was their first time being the primary caretakers. She wasn't excellently trained, but she was decent and reliable and you're already putting in more effort than my parents did by going online and doing some research.
Good with kids once they're mature (since it sounds like you might one day have them) and affectionate in a dignified way (mine was at least). I don't know if it would be too easy to train them to herd though..
As for exercise, ours never got near 2 hours of exercise, but I'm sure she would have been happier (and less destructive) if she'd gotten more than a 30 min walk 2x a day.
This of course is just my experience; I'm far from an expert and not speaking for the whole breed.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
many thanks i appreciate your response man : )
shouldn't i go with Weimaraner? they're pretty similiar i think.
may i ask what breed is in your avatar/sign? seems like a Boerboel <3
Weims aren't at all like RRs in my opinion. Totally different personalities. Only similar in size and maybe exercise needs (although I think most RRs are calmer in temperament than Weims on days with less exercise).

If you meant my avatar- he's a RR rescue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree that a Rhodesian Ridgeback might be a good choice. You mentioned Airedale Terrier in one post; I think they sound like they may also be a good fit for you.
thanks, Anyone here who has had experience with them (Airedales) ?
are they capable of protecting like say, a Ridgeback ? they are so kind-looking in the pics.

(the herding capabilities are not much of an issue so lets not consider it from now on)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all very much for your wisdom. all i read and heard was that RRs are no good for a beginner and also they are very stubborn and hard to train. This is why I asked experienced dog owners for advice. I am going to heed your advise and reconsider a male Rhodesian Ridgeback at this point and may go for it finally, or maybe one powerful native breed.
80% RR , 20% Native.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have met a Airdale and also watched this dog. She was older but an exceptional dog. She had the most amazing temperament. With the "non-shedders" though you have to be prepared to put down some money on grooming unless you learn how to do it your self and the price ranges for that generally go up based on size (ex. mini schnauzer $45, soft coated wheaton $65- in my area anyways) and i have my dog groomed every 6-8 weeks.

I don't have any suggestions for super high energy dogs with that temperament as I personally have 2 smaller dogs. My parents have 2 soft coated wheaton terriers (30lbs) they are very high energy but in an ADD fashion and ours have been very stubborn and were difficult to house train. and 2 old english mastiffs (150-185lbs)... They are huge and I would not say that they are high energy.

Good luck with your search. If your wife has bad allergies I would strongly consider a dog that does not shed or is considered "hypo allergenic" which no dogs truly are but having allergies I can say that any of the heavy coated breeds drive me nuts. I can handle a short coated dog a bit more but still causes me some irritation.

Hope you find the perfect breed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, my wife hates to see dog's hair/fur everywhere and is allergic. she prefers dogs that resemble wolves or those with erect ears.
she loves ACDs as much as i like.

so far in Priority order:

1. Rhodesian Ridgeback
2. Airedale Terrier
3. Beauceron
4. Weimaraner
5. Vizsla
6. Australian Cattle Dog
7. Collie
8. ...

as its obvious the protectiveness is what matters to me more.
I'd die to get an Airedale but RR is the better pack as far as protectiveness and fighting ability goes.
i'm searching for breeders.
also thanks to 'grey' for suggesting his/her friend: http://www.amberaire.com

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
My niece has an Airedale and he is a nice dog. He is a good watchdog, not overly protective and is good with kids and other dogs. I don't think he would ever herd cattle but they are very loyal breed. The previous owners had him in Agility training and he was doing really well at it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts