Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello:
I'd like to say I'm a first time dog owner, I have a 7-month old female Keeshond, and I need some help before I lose my mind.

She has had loose stool since I got her at 8-weeks old, at times its been literally explosive(sorry if thats too graphic). She's been to vet countless times for this issue. When we first got her, she did get giardia from stagnant rain water, which was treated and confirmed gone. However her problem would not go away, and all visits have found absolutely nothing wrong with her, shes even hydrated.

Since birth she was fed NutriSource puppy food(from the breeder), which we suspected to be the cause of the diarrhea, so we switched her to Innova, also with the same issue.

A week or two I did some searching and found out that California Natural Chicken Meal & Rice was suppose to help with the issue. Well it cleared up the diarrhea, its been firm and dark. Only problem now is its doing the opposite. She has about 2 cups a day, and poops only once, in the morning, and only one log, I'd say about 1/8 of her total food intake comes back out. She's also been drinking a lot less during the day, but her activity level is still the same, still bouncy and ready to play all the time!

What food do you all recommend for puppies with a sensitive stomach, I'm freaking out... Is this normal?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Wow, that is some turnaround. If the new food has less sodium the dog may need less water. My homecooked dog gets 16-20 ounces of food a day, 750-850 calories and that is about the size of her poop, 2 thumb lengths or less. Unless the poop is hard to evacuate there is no problem. Small and firm is the gold standard for dog poop. You are feeding about 1000 calories, close enough. Sounds to me like you have found the right food for your pup!

Both Innova and Nutrisource are fine foods and both have flaxseed. That stuff goes right through Sassy. Perhaps put the ingredient lists of the foods you have tried side by side to see if there are any other ingredients California Natural doesn't have that could be bothering your dog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Higher quality dog foods digest much better than others...the nutrients are actually absorbed into the body like they are supposed to be, therefore resulting in smaller poops. With all of the fillers and fluff found in generic dog foods, most of that is not able to be digested properly and just gets pooped out.

Like Kathyy says above, unless her poops are hard and ball like, or if you notice her really straining, then it sounds like you have found the solution.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Remi,

I was having the same problem with Kina and now have her on California Naturals Lamb Meal and rice puppy. She only poops twice a day and they are extreemly small. She use to have massive loads approximately 6 to 8 a day. I didn't think so much poop could come out of a little dog.

I agree with Kathy, sounds like your pup is right on track.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting.

IMO
Puppy stomachs are very sensitive as they could be mal nourished due to a food with not enough nutrients and mostly fillers.

Food types i recommend:
**copied and pasted from a similar post** (my own reply)
Bill JAcks is great for digesting, and is full of nutrients, not to mention it helps for a gas problem
Science Diet sensitive stomach is also great,
problem with that being your dog might not be too fond of it, but it is all nutrient based, vet recommend, and helps prevent the four leading causes of dog death.
AVODERM, **this is not an all vegetarian meal, you can get it with meat** its great for stomach, especially since it has real avocados.
now people will try to flame me on why avocado is bad, not true, avocado is good, the skin of the avocado is bad.
avocados contain vitamins A, E and C in abundance. They're also an excellent source of balanced nutritional essentials for your dog's skin and coat health-and good health in general. Avocados are high in folate, potassium, niacin, essential fatty acids, and many other nutrients. They have no cholesterol, very little sodium, and are high in monosaturated fats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Higher quality foods are generally designed to be more highly digestible which ultimately means better nutrition and less stool.
There are many great foods available to dog owners who have dogs with specific needs. California Natural is a very good food.
I order my food at petfoodauthority.com- which was a great help for me when I was researching the numerous foods and their ingredients.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts