Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently adopted a 7 week old black labrador, and will be living with her in a spacious condo with a balcony. There really is no other option in terms of housing, as I am a student and this condo is less expensive than a standalone house and very convenient for me to get to my classes.

I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate answered before my puppy comes home (the breeder wants the puppies to further socialize until they are around 8 weeks old before they are sent home). thank you!

1, should I get something like the Porch potty to place on the balcony for when she needs to go immediately and i can't wait for the elevator to go all the way downstairs?

2, in terms of adapting to the household and easing the stress on her, what are your experiences with dog appeasing hormones? as well, i really do not want to use DAP at all if there's any chance that it may harm my puppy and cause developmental issues, so is it completely safe and okay to use?

thanks for reading!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Give letters to all of your neighbors telling them you just got a puppy and want to apologize in advance for any whining/noise she makes at first. Tell them you understand that living in close quarters makes noise an issue and that you'll be doing everything possible to minimize it. Thank them for their understanding.

Make sure before you get puppy that there are no size limits for pets. Allow for puppy maturing to adulthood to figure out size/weight allowed. Don't get it if you might even be close.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
1. We live on the 4th floor and were succesfully able to potty train our puppy without a porch potty or pad. One advantage we had was that we have a medium sized breed and were able to pick him and carry him down the stairs if we thought he needed to go right away, this eliminated any hallway accidents.

Make sure you have A LOT of time available for training this puppy. A young puppy will need to go out to potty pretty much every hour to start and going up and down an elevator/stairs makes it take twice as long than if you were just stepping into a yard.

2. I don't think they are dangerous at all but I might wait until you get the puppy to see if they are really necessary. She shouldn't be left alone for too long to start and then with time and training you can teach her that you leaving is not a bad thing.

As Spotted Nikes already mentioned it is really important to know your strata bylaws before bringing a dog into the building. Even if you own the condo you may be subject to bylaws that could include size restrictions, breed bans, noise level monitoring etc.

Best of luck with your new puppy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thank you both for the replies! im guessing i didn't make this clearer in my first post but i did do careful consideration and research before adopting the puppy. my condo allows dogs and the rooms are thick enough that my neighbours don't hear dog barks. there is a german shep in the one down the hall from me and i had a chat with them beforehand

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I just like to let people know as there are several large dogs who recently moved into my building even though there is a 25lb weight limit. The strata council has asked all dog owners to resubmit a registration for their dogs including a picture because of this. These dogs and their owners could be facing an eviction from the building. Most people in our building didn't know that this rule is in the bylaw even though they have lived there for several years because the bylaw was amended a few years ago. It used to read, any two pets per unit were allowed, now it reads any two pets under 25lbs and all owners who lived their previously with their larger dogs were grandfathered in. I think many of the new dog owners saw these older larger dogs and thought it was still okay. Best to read the fine print :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
I am currently doing Porch Potty on the balcony, but just be aware that cleaning the synthetic grass is a real pain in the butt! And it smells too :(

I would just carry him downstairs as you can designate a spot near the condo much quicker the more often he goes there. Make sure to always give the command word right when he starts to pee and poo so you can condition him to want to go every time you say it. I use "go pee pee!" and "go poo poo!"

Labs are notorious for being heavy chewers, so please crate or put him in an ex-pen when you're away so he can't get into anything dangerous.

Don't worry about using anything to ease stress. For my first dog I used lavender oil/candle and played soft Schubert music. That's only because he was particularly withdrawn when I adopted him. For my second dog, she was not stressed from the move so I didn't need any kind of aid.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
1. It sounds like you have a good breeder, so ask them some of these questions.
2. Ask the Shepherd owner how they did house training.
3. Labs are easy to train, and are not prone to stress, as long as you have plenty of Kongs and hard rubber bones for them to chew. You must puppy proof the house, and you cannot trust the Lab to be alone and free for the first 6 months. A Lab can destroy a chair leg in 5 min. and chew through a wall in less than an hour... if bored and under exercised :)

4. I agree that you should carry him outside for the first week, then run with him outside afterwards. He should pee after 30 seconds and poop if needed in about 3 min. Praise and reward with 3 tiny treats when he goes "Potty" outside on cue.
5. When you bring him home, he may cry at night for the first 3 nights. Buy earplugs and wait it out... and he'll stop.
6. Here are free downloads: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
7. He will be sweet and mild for the first or second week... then his vampire, Tasmanian Devil nature will emerge. ... You think I'm kidding... Labs make the cutest puppies, and no one would ever sell them, except for the change.... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts