She has to be under the seat in an approved carrier for the entire flight.
Southwest Airlines allows small vaccinated domestic cats and dogs to travel with you in-cabin. Find out more about our pet policy and traveling with pets here.
Traveling With Pets
Southwest Airlines allows small vaccinated domestic cats and dogs to travel with you in-cabin under the seat in front of you. All pets must be carried in an appropriate carrier, as indicated below. Southwest Airlines will not accept pet remains as carryon or checked baggage.
Pets are not allowed to travel in-cabin on international flights or any itinerary that includes an international flight.
Pets will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until capacity is reached. Six (6) pets are allowed per flight with a limit of one pet carrier per paying Customer traveling on the same flight. However, from time to time, circumstances may allow for more (or fewer) than six (6) pet carriers per scheduled flight.
Pets must be checked in at the airport ticket counter, however Customers can still secure their boarding pass online, at curbside checkin, the airport kiosk, or the ticket counter.
A pet that engages in disruptive behavior may be denied boarding. Examples of disruptive behavior include (but are not limited to):
Pet Reservation & Payment Information
- Scratching, excessive whining or barking
- Growling, biting, lunging
- Urinating or defecating in the cabin or gate area
Acceptable Pet Carriers:
- Pets traveling are subject to a $95 Pet Fare each way per pet carrier.
Pet Fares are refundable. If you cancel your reservation and your pet does not travel or if your flight is canceled and you choose not to rebook, contact Southwest at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) or visit the airport ticket counter to process your refund. Please note, Pet Fare pricing is subject to change at any time.
- U.S. Domestic Flights: Reservations must be made in advance by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792). On the day of travel, Customers must bring the pet to the airport in an approved pet carrier. Proceed to the airport ticket counter to check the pet in and pay the Pet Fare before going to the departure gate.
Pet Carrier Requirements:
- The Southwest Airlines Pet Carrier (17” long x 9.5” high x 10” wide).
- Other pet carriers with maximum dimensions of 18.5” long x 8.5” high x 13.5” wide.
- Soft-sided and hard-sided carriers specifically designed as pet carriers are acceptable.
- The carriers must be leak-proof and well ventilated.
- The pet carrier must be small enough to fit under the seat in front of the Customer and be stowed in accordance with Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations.
Note: Pet carriers are considered either a personal item or a carryon item. A Customer may board the aircraft with either a pet carrier and a personal item or a pet carrier and a regular size carryon bag. A Customer may not board the aircraft with a pet carrier, a regular size carryon bag, and a personal item. The pet carrier must conform to all carryon baggage regulations.
- Southwest Airlines allows only one pet carrier per ticketed Passenger.
- The carrier may contain two (2) cats or dogs and must be of the same species per carrier.
- The cat or dog must be completely inside the pet carrier and be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease.
- Pets must be secured in the pet carrier at all times while in the gate area, during boarding/deplaning, and they must remain in the carrier for the entire duration of the flight. Failure to follow this requirement may result in denial of transportation of the pet onboard Southwest Airlines.
Pet Travel Restrictions
- Southwest Airlines does not accept pets (cats or dogs) traveling without a Customer.
- Pets are not permitted to travel with Unaccompanied Minors.
- Pets are not allowed to travel in-cabin on international flights or any itinerary that includes an international flight.
- Customers traveling with a pet may not occupy an exit row or a seat with no forward under-seat stowage.
- Southwest Airlines will only carry pets in the cabin; pets are not permitted as checked baggage.
- There will be no more than six (6) scheduled pet carriers per scheduled flight. However, from time to time, circumstances may allow for more (or fewer) than six (6) pet carriers per scheduled flight.
- Cats and dogs must be at least eight (8) weeks old for travel.
- The animals must be harmless, not disruptive, odorless, and require no attention during flight.
- Cats and dogs must remain in the carrier (including head and tail) and the carrier must be stowed under the seat in front of the Customer (owner) for the entire duration of the flight.