Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my first dog for less then a year, my dad got me a puppy recently but my older dog which is from a shelter which seems to be a chihuahua & Boston terrier mix acts aggressively towards my new puppy. Although I am not sure if its playing or aggression since I have never had more than one dog. I am posting a video of them below, the playing that bothers me happens towards the end of the video where he pushes him and tail butts him, gets on him, bites and pulls his ears, bites his leg, knocking him over. This is an all day thing too, not for moments at a time only time he stops is when one for them is asleep or napping.
Whats your opinion is it normal playing but my chihuahua is just older or do you guys see aggression? If it is aggression how should I discipline my older dog? Also is it possible that this will affect my puppy's future attitude towards other dogs and a possibility of aggression?

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I don't see aggression, no. I think your older pup is playing a little rude, though. My Dachshund gets ramped up very easily doing play and can get rude- biting ears, pulling scruff, nose ramming, etc. He ONLY does this with dogs he knows he can do it with- where with one of my girls he does not because she corrects him. When he gets too rough with the puppy, I would start redirecting his attention somewhere else before it starts to escalate like it does towards the end of the video. The puppy is not going to correct him, so obviously he has no reason not to be mouthy and rude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see thank you for the response, do you think as the puppy gets older and is able to correct my dog my dog will respect him and play less rudely?
At times when he picks on him I try throwing a toy but he ignores. The good thing is that my older dog seems to be picking on him a bit less as the days pass.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Does your older dog have much experience playing with other dogs? My Dachshund was never socialized, so he has fairly poor social skills with other dogs and I had to be the one playing mediator when my youngest was a puppy (and even as a baby.. he was a huge dude getting bossed around by an 11 lbs Dachshund) so keep him from going over the top. It's hard to tell what your puppy will decide to do. He'll either just tolerate it and never correct him, or he'll get tired of it and tell him off. I have five dogs and only two will dole out corrections- the other three just largely tolerate any rude behavior from other dogs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was never really socialized, I got him from a shelter wen he was already around 8 to 9 months old. Ill kep supervising them while they play

·
Registered
76 Posts
agree with advise bove playing but all play can escualte into either ritual aggression or all out fight! so yes supervise and interupt when you think it is getting to rough..or puppy tis uneasy with situation....also idf you watch video in slow motin or pause at end you can see puppy getting usure and uneasy of the situation t end of video....It's all in the body language of the whle dog..you can see an agonistic pucker 'snarl' some wahke eye and a tongue flick which your puppy is tryingto calm the older dog....

I would say just supervise always when there together. They look like they'll get along great over time (nuetured or spayed ?)...Multi dog house is always different as the dogs pick there own spots, who likes to go first in most things....Just figure out what they all agree on and go with it to keep the peace...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Looks like rough play. My younger dog, a 2.5 year old dachshund-chihuahua mix, is our rough player. She's a pistol. She will growl (play growls), nip, bite ears, etc. with our three year old dog Harper, who's a mini dachshund. BUT, when she's playing with my parents' dog, a yorkie, Sophie, she is different. She is the submissive one, runs and chases, but doesn't nip or bite.
It reminds me of a child who plays nicely with others in public, but is pretty darn rambunctious at home!

If you are supervising them, and the older pup gets a bit too crazy for your taste, you can separate them. And, if you watch closely, you should be able to see some physical signs that happen right before the older dog gets to that "too rough" stage. Like, the ears change position, or the tail changes position, or maybe the growl sounds different. And, then, you can separate them BEFORE it gets crazy!

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Looks like good old fun play. Supervise in case one of them seems to tire of it and get frustrated and there is nothing wrong with just stopping the play and redirecting to another activity, but I don't see any aggression in that.

Notice how the Boston backs off frequently and turns sideways a bit? Inviting the other dog to take a turn initiating play. Overall their body language is relaxed and neither seems to be trying to avoid the other one.

They will probably do this less after some time getting used to each other. Play is good for a puppy to learn about other dogs. It would also be good if the puppy had a chance to play with other dogs (not just yours) to learn different body language and play styles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts