Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chiweenie, Mia, gave birth to a puppy on the 18th of November. That makes the pup 4 days old. She only gave birth to a single, rather large pup. We got Mia from my husbands mother about 6 weeks ago and her pregnancy was a complete surprise. Mia has always been a round dog. Considering she was only carrying 1 pup, she didnt have that "swollen" look to her. Her nipples were larger and that could have been a good sign, but the idea of her actually of gotten pregnant was a complete surprise to me.
After consulting with my retired vet neighbor, she advised I schedule an appointment for monday, which i have done. Until then, I have some concerns that my neighbor pointed out.
1) she gave birth to a large single pup. To make things super weird, my in-laws live next to a blue bully mix, who is not fixed(you can see he has balls because they are huge and a constant joke). We live in the country, there are sometimes miles between houses out here....I cant think of Mia as running 20 miles to get to the nearest intact male. Because of the size of the pup and lack of littermates, I believe that he is the father. But how could that be? Like not to be gross, but I don't think that's possible? the size difference and all. is it possible? Especially when the pup looks like a wrinkly pitt? I dont know.

2)Speaking of the size of the pup (who is obviously getting bigger and its only day 4). Is it possible he is drinking her dry? I've noticed that her teats never seem to "Fill-up" like ive seen in previous whelping mothers. Sometimes the pup literally is pulling her nipple. I'm probably just being paranoid, but I mean, it doesn't sound that out-there to think the puppy isn't getting enough to eat. Although she is gaining weight, and literally never cries. Be that as it may, I bought some milk replacer just in case. So my question is: Could the puppy, due to her size, need more milk than her mother can make?

If anyone would like to hear the story regarding the birth of this little surprise, you can inbox me or I'll post it in the general discussion forum. Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide me!

J. Whaley

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I would weigh the puppy every day as that is the safest way to make sure it is gaining. I hope you bought the proper puppy milk replacer but as long as the puppy keeps gaining you may not need it. You were really lucky that the mother did not need a C-section as that is a real danger with only one puppy even if the male was the same size.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes, get a scale so that you can weigh the pup (a kitchen scale will do) and keep a log.

If you get a milk replacer, make sure it is formulated for dogs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to get a kitchen scale now from walmart. Thank you for your reply. The puppy has been doing good, she is into her second week today. She never cries, and has been observably gaining weight (She has gotten so big!).
Here is a picture I took a few days ago:
https://imgur.com/a/ASb2F

1 - 4 of 4 Posts