1lb ground turkey
2lb lean ground beef
1.25lb chicken livers
1 pack frozen peas & carrots
1 pack frozen green beans
4 eggs
2 regular baking potatoes
2 sweet potatoes (yams)

He was getting 1 cup of TOW high prairie a day and now he is getting 1/2 cup TOW and 1/2 cup homemade mixture.

What do you think of the mix? Do I need to add anything?

It was all cooked/mashed/pureed to a consistency like cooked ground meat. I used my vaccum sealer to split it into three days worth of food and then freeze it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think that looks like a great start. I've been feeding my pups homemade food since April, and I couldn't be happier. I'm still learning and reading up on different recipes/supplements and things like that. So far, the only supplements I'm using are calcium and fish oil. Good for you for doing this for your dog. I'm sure he appreciates the extra effort. I know mine do.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Where's the calcium? And you have lots of lean meats. Dogs need fat, most kibbles are around 12-15% I think (I feed raw so haven't looked at kibble labels for a while).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Looks yummy. An awful lot of liver though. Raw feeders stick to 5% liver, seems to me cooked food should have a similar amount. 5% of 3 pounds of meat is less than 3 ounces.

How lean is the ground beef? Even 85% isn't really very lean. It is 15% fat - comes to 4 grams of fat and 5 grams of protein per ounce. Guess that means it is 18% protein? I don't think your dog is going to be fat starved.

Being as how I don't feel like doing anything today I made up a recipe on nutritiondata. Join up, it is a big help.
Your whole recipe is 4300 calories. 223 grams fat if used 86% fat hamburger. 395 grams of protein and 169 grams of carbohydrate. Nice! ND breaks it down to very specific fats and amino acids as well as more important vitamins and minerals. You probably need to feed much less of the cooked stuff than the kibble to keep calories the same. Your kibble is 3700 per kg and 370 per cup. How many cups did this make up total? EASY for a dog to get fat on home made food. It is so yummy and since it is real food it doesn't look like enough for your best buddy.

Take those egg shells, dry them and grind to a powder in a coffee mill . Add 1/2 tsp per pound of meat used. You can just do it as you feed the food if you like for now but the kibble probably has plenty for now. Amount isn't listed on DFA but most premium kibbles have too much calcium added.

This site is AWESOME for home cooking. I am such a fan. This bit is about home cooked foods.
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#Balance

Great start! Bet your dog thinks he is in heaven now, it looks like really good food.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I had planned on grinding up the egg shells, but I don't have a coffee grinder (and my mini-chopper didn't get them ground up enough)

What are the basic percentages that most homecookers/raw feeders use?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Percentages of what? Protein/fat/carb? Sassy gets 32C/33F/35P aproximately at the moment. Max gets 45 protein/55 fat usually. Sass adores carbs and would rather have the bulk of the carbs than the satisfying fat I think. We will see, usually it is more 40C/30F/30P. She is old and sick, I must limit her phosphorus intake which limits her protein. If you put the recipe on ND you can plan it so the dog gets a minimum of 1 gram protein per pound of dog up to 3 grams protein per pound of dog. Your recipe has nearly 400 grams in 4300 calories. If your dog ate 370 of this same as the kibble then would be using up the recipe in 11 days and getting about 36 grams of protein per day. The kibble has 3719 cal/kg and 32% protein so a minimum of 320 grams protein per kg and rounding off a bit looks like a kilogram of your kibble lasts about 10 days and the dog is getting 32 grams minimum so your cooked food is about 10% higher in protein than the kibble.

Your recipe from ND
Calories 4326
From Carbohydrate 655 cal 169 g
From Fat 2014 cal 223g
From Protein 1657 cal 395 g
TOTW
3719 kcal/kg [370 kcal/cup]
32% protein
18% fat

I haven't tried egg shell in it but my mortar and pestle are doing a boffo job on some pills when I 'stir' the crunched bits up. Oh, baking the egg shell really helps it grind up better, try that.

The egg shell, some Vitamin E and that fish oil or canned fish like sardines/mackerel/salmon would bring this up to an even nicer level of completeness. Get the calcium in there next time! Mixing with kibble it is fine but by itself there is a serious deficiency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts