Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to thank DogForum for oppurtinuties like this where passionate dog lovers or people who are just seeking advise can communicate in such a way that enables there dog to live long and healthy lives. This is great! Well I have recieved great advice so far. I got my English Mastiff at 5 weeks old and I later found that a reputable breeder should sell untill 8 weeks. Weel Caesar is now 8 weeks old and looks great. He's my lil big man! I transitioned him from puppy chow to Eukanuba. Then earlier this week he just was uninterested in the food. I tried adding water softening it up it just didn't work. I did some research on raw diets for when he get's older. Looked at ingredient in other foods. I decided to try Blue Buffalo. Caesar loves it. he is currently 20 lbs and will be 9 weeks on wednesday. Caesar and Chloe.jpg Norm and Caesar.jpg

I have fallen in love with my English masttif, he is healthy. My ex wife always like to toy breeds and I just went along with it, however I was in the market for a Mastiff just didn't know which one. Bull, Cane Corso, or English. Well needless to say I found a winner or let's say he found me, but I am the lucky one.

Your truly
Norman!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would definatly look into a different food

He will need to be on a large breed food till he's about two. While the giant breeds quit growing around 14 months, their joints will continue to grow and streghten and feeding a healthy high protein food will help.
Avoid ingredients with white rice, corn, glucose, by-product (feathers, beaks and chicken feet!)...there are some more. some argue they feed pedigree for the dogs whole life and no issues...but feeding a food that has at least some digestible ingredients will help your dog tremendously. Less poop, which is argued...but if they digest more of the intake then ideally there is less waste.

I know my friends mastiff they went through a lot of bones because he was a chewer :) and training EARLY how to properly greet someone and walk on a leash is very important. Don't let him jump on people. while it's cute now, it wont be with a 100lbs+ dog. You also wanna be the one in control of the walks, not him walking you, that could be dangerous. And Socialization is important also. Large breeds tend to be timid and if not socialized with other people and dogs then it could cause fear aggression or other issues later on.
Interaction with other dogs!! Important, but I would avoid dog parks till he is at least 12 weeks. that way he has 2 sets of puppy boosters to help his immune system out. Let other dogs rough him up a bit...if he sits there and screams cause a dog sniffs him don't baby him. something that really annoys me...turns a dog into a baby. But he does need to know he can't go tramble little dogs and when to be gentle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts