Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a few questions about the greyhound my boyfriend and I adopted. She is crated trained - BUT she is up around 4am-5am every morning. We work at 8am so that is a little too early for our liking. We don't mind waking up that early to let her outside to relieve herself, but when we put her back into her crate she constantly whines. Is there a way we can stop this without just ignoring her? (We live in a duplex, and do not want the neighbors to be disturbed).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
What happens if you leave her out of the crate? If she's not peeing everywhere or chewing on things, I'd just leave her out. If not, can you move the crate to your room, next to the bed? That way, you could touch her through the crate, which might calm her down enough to go back to sleep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's had a few accidents, and we are still working on that. Otherwise we would leave her out to roam. We tried putting her dog bed in our room and shutting our door, but that does not seem to make her happy either (continues to whine).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Is she hungry? Raymond the JRT would wake up, potty, eat breakfast and go back to sleep until noon. We were in for a wild ride from then on out but mornings were easy after he got breakfast.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Is she hungry? Raymond the JRT would wake up, potty, eat breakfast and go back to sleep until noon. We were in for a wild ride from then on out but mornings were easy after he got breakfast.
Jewel is very much like this. She whines for breakfast and then will go back to bed with us if we don't get up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were right! We moved the crate into our bedroom and the whining stopped immediately. We were told by the foster mom she used to have another dog in the crate next to her at night so she was not used to being completely alone at night. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You were right! We moved the crate into our bedroom and the whining stopped immediately. We were told by the foster mom she used to have another dog in the crate next to her at night so she was not used to being completely alone at night. Thanks for the help!
Yay! Nice to hear everybody's happy.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Great news!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts