Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a young professional that has, for the past several years been a cat person. But, i am looking to get a dog. I have been searching the internet and am quiet confused about which dog is "right" for me. I am a young professional who lives alone in an apartment building. I live overseas in a hot environment. I am looking for two big things in a dog 1) a dog that can handle me being away at my job, but can benefit from daily walks/exercise/loving ect. 2) Requires exercise but not extreme amounts.

I looked into getting a greyhound. Are there any other suggestions!? I looked at several terrier breeds. But, i am scared that they will bark too much for my neighbors .

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
703 Posts
It sounds like an adult rescue dog would be a good choice for you.

i agree, Terriers bark a lot. Don't Greyhounds need a lot of exercise? I do know that when I lived in Barcelona, a lot of little old ladies had Great Danes. Apparently they are wonderful apartment dogs.

Hello,

I am a young professional that has, for the past several years been a cat person. But, i am looking to get a dog. I have been searching the internet and am quiet confused about which dog is "right" for me. I am a young professional who lives alone in an apartment building. I live overseas in a hot environment. I am looking for two big things in a dog 1) a dog that can handle me being away at my job, but can benefit from daily walks/exercise/loving ect. 2) Requires exercise but not extreme amounts.

I looked into getting a greyhound. Are there any other suggestions!? I looked at several terrier breeds. But, i am scared that they will bark too much for my neighbors .

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
740 Posts
My neighbor in my condo has a grey hound and she is SO calm. Not to say you're guaranteed that they'll be calm, but IMO a much better choice than a terrier. Please keep in mind that any puppy of any breed is going to be a little hyper, they only start to calm down once they're older. But that's what comes with puppy rearing. I would try the shelter first, especially if you don't have the time to housebreak a young puppy.

I have a Bichon and she's perfect for my condo. She never barks, and is good in small spaces. They say they have problems with separation anxiety but mine is fine being home alone during the day (She's independent). However, she's SUPER hard to housebreak lol..And I'm an experienced dog owner.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I have a Bichon and she's perfect for my condo. She never barks, and is good in small spaces. They say they have problems with separation anxiety but mine is fine being home alone during the day (She's independent). However, she's SUPER hard to housebreak lol..And I'm an experienced dog owner.
It's not you, bichons are notoriously hard to housebreak.

An adult greyhound is a great idea. Greyhounds love to walk and run, but inside they're pretty mellow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:wave: Thanks for all of the advice! From what I have looked up on the internet, greyhound puppies are only hyper for the first couple of years? Also, do they do well with other animals? I have cats.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Greyhounds are sighthounds, bred to chase small prey... I don't think they usually do well with small animals but like anything each individual is different. If you're looking for a rescue make sure you ask this question.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Although they can be difficult to train, have you considered a basenji? They can handle the heat, grooming is virtually nil, they're small but not tiny, they're energetic but not hyper and crazy, they don't bark (although they DO make other noises), and they're often described as "catlike."

·
Registered
740 Posts
:wave: Thanks for all of the advice! From what I have looked up on the internet, greyhound puppies are only hyper for the first couple of years? Also, do they do well with other animals? I have cats.
It's really how you socialize them. If you make the effort to treat them while the cats are around, they'll learn to get along with the cats. ALso please treat the cats for when the dog is around so there isn't a major war going on all the time. I hear that a lot of cats assume the 'dominant' role in the relationship, but I think it really is how you parent your pets.

The greyhound that lives next door has a younger shitzhu-maltese mix who's way smaller than she, but they are so perfect together and they have really bonded together. That's because the parents worked really hard to have them love being with each other! And didn't treat anyone more special than the other.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Agreed that a greyhound would be an excellent choice! They're typically quiet, lower energy dogs and a good option for apartment living. While prey drive is high in sighthounds in general, many greys are absolutely fine with house cats. Good rescues often cat-test their greyhounds.

I plan to own a rescue greyhound some day. People who have them rave about them.

I suggest that you check out some greyhound rescues online (and in person, if possible). They'll have some valuable information on the breed. I really think this would be a good choice for ya, though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
when i was looking for a reacue ddog i was surprised to find that colloes (lassie) were very calm & gentle dogs for the most part but they do tent to bark a lot, but a lot of rescues have senior dogs waiting for good homes with a nice soft couch to hold down :) also if you are in the US, you can check out www.adoptapet.com or www.petfinder.com. As far as your schedule, excersise requirements, other animals & etc... most shelters or rescues will work with you in finding the right doggy that fits into your home best.

if you are outside the US you can always do a google search for 'shelters' or 'rescues in' where ever you are :) best of luck in finding your new best friend :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when i was looking for a reacue ddog i was surprised to find that colloes (lassie) were very calm & gentle dogs for the most part but they do tent to bark a lot, but a lot of rescues have senior dogs waiting for good homes with a nice soft couch to hold down :) also if you are in the US, you can check out www.adoptapet.com or www.petfinder.com. As far as your schedule, excersise requirements, other animals & etc... most shelters or rescues will work with you in finding the right doggy that fits into your home best.

if you are outside the US you can always do a google search for 'shelters' or 'rescues in' where ever you are :) best of luck in finding your new best friend :)
Thanks so much! I am living in China right now. And, it's been very difficult in finding greyhounds. I have found someone who is selling italian greyhounds. Is there muchof a difference?? I did read on the internet that they are bad for firt-time dog owners. Is that true? Thanks again for all of the help.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Italian Greyhounds are very small- but adorable!
Thanks so much! I am living in China right now. And, it's been very difficult in finding greyhounds. I have found someone who is selling italian greyhounds. Is there muchof a difference?? I did read on the internet that they are bad for firt-time dog owners. Is that true? Thanks again for all of the help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Italian Greyhounds are super adorable and one of them might be exactly what you are looking for. They don't need that much space and are very submissive. They are also used to warmer climates. Your italian greyhound would also benefit from exercise but it would not be something you have to worry constantly about. They just really like to chill out and I foresee no problem at all with cats or other small pets in your house.

You will have to do a bit of training and socializing with your dog just to make sure that it gets used to its surroundings and the other pets in your house, but it shouldn't be a major problem.

Or you might want to consider a chihuaha? I know they are quite yappy, but I think they're really cute :3

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I have just rescued a 7 month old Patterdale Terrier and he is a lovely dog, he very rarely barks only occasionally when he is being played with, he enjoys walks and lots of loving, so I would certainly recommend one of these.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts