Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. the kind of dog i need is a medium sized dog, cute, hypoalergenic. thats pretty much it. any help is appreciated

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
No dog is truly hypoallergenic. There is always something about the dog you could be allergic to (usually saliva). Do you mean non-shedding? Or does someone in your family have bad allergies?

Just saying "cute" and "medium-sized" is kind of broad. We need more info to narrow down the breed choices. What else do you want in a dog? How much time are you willing to put into exercising and training the dog? Are you willing to have your pet professionally groomed every few months (or learn to do it yourself)? How much time do you want to put into daily grooming? What do you mean by "medium" (I would put medium at 40-50 pounds, some people think 15 pounds is medium!)?

·
Registered
547 Posts
What are you expecting out of the dog? What kind of home can you provide? What kind of exercise? Training? How much work are you planning to put into the dog? Are you financially prepared for the responsibility of owning a dog?

No dog is perfect. If you're expecting perfection, then get a stuffed animal.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do

There are lots of medium sized dogs and most of us would consider them all cute. There's not a lot of evidence of breeds actually being hypoallergenic. Usually it just means the dog sheds less but a person can still have an allergic reaction to a dog who doesn't shed.
These breed tests, and that one in particular, are so useless and a silly way to even consider a dog. I just got every single breed I would NEVER own and would never be right for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
These breed tests, and that one in particular, are so useless and a silly way to even consider a dog. I just got every single breed I would NEVER own and would never be right for me.
Good for you. I actually find it's good at coming up with a list of breeds who meet basic qualifications. Many people don't even know about certain breeds or that they meet their requirements. It's not a deciding factor, it's a starting point.

Obviously it won't work for you. You already know what breeds work for you and have requirements beyond basic things like "medium sized and low grooming requirements".

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Good for you. I actually find it's good at coming up with a list of breeds who meet basic qualifications. Many people don't even know about certain breeds or that they meet their requirements. It's not a deciding factor, it's a starting point.

Obviously it won't work for you. You already know what breeds work for you and have requirements beyond basic things like "medium sized and low grooming requirements".
Heh. It wouldn't work for any one. I got a Malinois with my "basic" requirements (which are silly and fleeting on this quiz at best). Yes a Mal is a tremendously good idea for people who know nothing and are searching around. If I had time I would go through every single question on that sham of a quiz and tell you why it's useless, but alas, I must go to work.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Eh, I'm with TWAB on this one. Whenever I take that quiz, my results are laughable. Apparently I would be equally happy with a CKC and a Border Collie. I don't even get any of the dogs I know are matches for me until way down in the quiz, and I DO get dogs that I know aren't matches for me. I'm pretty sure they're skipping some basic qualifications. I honestly think that people would be much better off picking up a used breed encyclopedia and flipping through that, or going to the AKC's website and seeing what breeds catch their eye from the breed lists than taking that quiz, other than getting very wrong information, like "an Aussie is perfect for you!" because it's not.

The only breed selector quiz I've found that comes close to giving an accurate list at the end is this one: http://www.k9country.com/perl//dogBreed.pl and even that has some major flaws (and I think it's missing a few breeds).

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Eh, I'm with TWAB on this one. Whenever I take that quiz, my results are laughable. Apparently I would be equally happy with a CKC and a Border Collie. I don't even get any of the dogs I know are matches for me until way down in the quiz, and I DO get dogs that I know aren't matches for me. I'm pretty sure they're skipping some basic qualifications. I honestly think that people would be much better off picking up a used breed encyclopedia and flipping through that, or going to the AKC's website and seeing what breeds catch their eye from the breed lists than taking that quiz, other than getting very wrong information, like "an Aussie is perfect for you!" because it's not.

The only breed selector quiz I've found that comes close to giving an accurate list at the end is this one: http://www.k9country.com/perl//dogBreed.pl and even that has some major flaws (and I think it's missing a few breeds).
Good for you! ;)

ETA: That emoticon really doesn't look like it is winking at all. It's supposed to be winking. I should have just written *WINK* apparently.

·
Super Moderator
7,297 Posts
LOL, just took that test for fun, and yeah, WAY off! I selected 20 - 30 minutes per day as my exercise requirement, a walk around the park is what the test called it. My top 3 results? Beagle, Labrador Retriever, and Vizla! Can you seriously imagine ANY of those breeds being happy with a 20 - 30 minute stroll around the park?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
The highest exercise requirement they had I can remember off the top of my head was 45 minutes. lol ya rite 45 minutes with Shambles? A fun game of flirt pole for 45 minutes is nothing. Jonas easily does 45 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
7,297 Posts
The highest exercise requirement they had I can remember off the top of my head was 45 minutes. lol ya rite 45 minutes with Shambles? A fun game of flirt pole for 45 minutes is nothing. Jonas easily does 45 minutes.
I know! I thought it was hilariously funny that they think 45 minutes of exercise constitutes a super high energy breed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts