Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys =)

I met my soon to be new companion yesturday, her name is Sydney and she is a 6 year old "Sydney Silky" (very original name right), this brings me to my first question: Can you get a white Sydney Silky with curly fur instead of the brown/grey long haired silkys I'm used to??? To me she looks more like a small Bichon although she was shaved quite drastically due to matting fur

Her owners have left for Australia and a friend of mine is taking care of her, she knew how much I'd been wanting a wee dog for so when she couldn't look after her permanently she asked me, I gladly accepted! Currently Sydney is apparently "not allowed inside" (even though this is what she is used to) and is only allowed to sleep in the laundry area on a linoleum floor. When I take her she will be inside with me nice an warm. What should I do/prepare for her first day/night? she comes with her little bed so she will have something familiar to comfort her (hopefully). She is house trained also =)

Because she is on a farm at the moment she loves running around on the farm and is very active - something I love as I love to get out and get some fresh air via walking. My next question is when I take her walking because she is a bit older should I avoid the concrete pavements altogether/where possible and stick to grass and softer footing?

One more question (there will probably be more in future!) when it comes to grooming what do you recommend to wash her with? she recently was shaved (clipped in my horsey lingo haha) very short as she had matted bits of fur (supposedly she had discovered a very large amount of mud and no amount of washing and brushing would help), the groomer then washed her. Either Sydney's skin reacted with the shampoo or she has sensitive skin in general what's the best shampoo to use for sensitive or itchy skin? How often should I brush her? (once her fur grows back enough!)

I can't wait for her to come home, she loves attention and is very friendly considering the recent circumstances (going from home to home and not being allowed inside must be quite a shock for her)

Hope the above isn't too messy and boring! Thanks! Michelle

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thank you for adopting! Set up her bed where she'll sleep and just be patient. It will take time for her to settle in. Set up a good schedule of walks and feeding and she'll like the routine.

As for the itchy skin, I'd rewash with a hypoallergenic shampoo, but it could be that her skin feels weird without much fur. If she is having an allergic reaction, it's often due to food. Dogs can be allergic to anything, but grains, corn and chicken are the most common allergies. I'd feed her a good, grain free food based on fish or lamb and see if that helps.

Please stick around and post lots of pictures- we love pictures!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
I looked up Silky Terriers and it looks like they should be blue and tan like the Australian Terriers and the Yorkies. I could not find anything on them being white or curly coated. Maybe she has some Bichon in her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I visited the local pet supply store and she did mention her diet, she recommended i took all beef out of her diet? Im not sure what her diet is yet though.

She seems to have a face and body like a silky but the curly fluffy hair of a bichon =P here's one photo of her.. 391276_349181605156936_977819865_n.jpg

The photo was taken BEFORE all her fluff got shorn off lol.

Blimey I hope i actually get her! im getting more and more excited =P

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even after her intensive grooming session she still has the brownish stains on her legs and her mouth? Is there anything i can use to clean this? surely it's not her actual colour haha ahhh so new to all of this!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Doesn't really look like a silky to me, maybe a maltese x?

Not all staining can be washed off, you might just have to wait for the hair to grow out and then cut off the stained bits.

And congrats :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Pay attention to how much licking she does. I have a white westie cross (westie/bichon?) who's allegic to seemingly everything and is itchy. After I adopted her, I found out that this breed tends to have bad allergies...food and environmental, and Maddie certainly fits the profile! The reddish staining (it's permanent) is from saliva, caused by licking; it appears on their feet too, if they lick them (check the bottoms and between the toes).

I'd put your dog on a grain free food, or at least one with no corn, wheat, or soy. If the grain free bothers her, she may be sensitive to the potatoes (Maddie is, of course). It will take awhile for a new food to show an improvement, so be patient (sometimes a couple of months). Maddie is also allergic to grass (great, right?), so I give her 1/2 a Benadryl (generic), up to 3 times daily. The dosage for this is 1 mg./pound of the dog's weight, if you want to try this. It helps, but doesn't stop Maddie's itching, probably due to the grass allergy.

You may want to bathe your dog with an anti-itch shampoo. I use one with tree oil in it.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I would also go with a grain free food. I have a dog who is allergic to wheat. Chicken is a big allergen for some dogs also. Maybe try fish or lamb grain free for starters.

Your dog is adorable! How small is she in weight? She looks like a Bichon/Poodle mix to me. If she has short legs she could also have some West Highland White Terrier or Cairn Terrier in her IMO.

The stains on her cute little face may have to grow out and be cut as she is trimmed. I keep my white dogs eyes and beards and mustaches wiped clean on a daily basis with just clear water .... soap in the bathtub if necessary ... to help to avoid tear and food stains.

Thank you for adopting! :D It takes a while for a new pup/dog to settle into a new environment ... sometimes weeks to months. My newest rescue is Eddee ... and it has taken almost three months for him to show his true colors! Lol!.........

I am sure your new addition will do just fine ... she looks like a real sweetheart!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Doesn't look like a silky to me (maybe half? maybe half bichon or poodle?) but very cute whatever she is. Unless she has an allergy to beef, I'd be more concerned about corn, wheat or soy in her diet. Dogs can develop an allergy to meat, but chicken is just as common for the dog to be allergic to as beef would be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! she's currently having a snooze i've got her for a week to see how she handles me being at work - i'll start taking some photos soon =) i gave her a bath with a gentle shampoo she doesn't seem as itchy. So the red on her belly and feet (from saliva?) is permanent??

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks everyone! she's currently having a snooze i've got her for a week to see how she handles me being at work - i'll start taking some photos soon =) i gave her a bath with a gentle shampoo she doesn't seem as itchy. So the red on her belly and feet (from saliva?) is permanent??

My two little white fur Boy's had that stain on their feet from licking. I trimmed the fur ... also so they did not slide on slippery floors and surfaces. It will grow out as white hair eventually once the allergy is gone and they quit licking. :) I did not use a whitener shampoo because of the fear of how harsh it may be on their skin or perhaps the product would cause the start of yet "another" allergy! Lol!

The same with the tear stains at first ... I just trimmed. Leeo was the one who had the non-stop tear stains for a few years. Blu Boy ... not so much and now hardly ever. I am feeding them Wellness Super5MIx dog food and 4Health Salmon and Potato with good results. They used to eat a very corn based food until I was aware of what they really should be eating. I feed them the best I can afford.

Maybe a groomer on here will come along with a remedy for the stains I am not aware of?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Beautiful puppy, but there is no way that dog is a Silky.

A Silky looks like a Yorkie, only slightly larger.

This is an Australian Silky:

This is a Yorkie:

It is also NOT an Australian Terrier.

Could be a Westie/Bichon cross. The staining could be permanent. I have that with Pepper. I've tried changing his water to distilled or filtered. I've put Angel Eyes in his food, and so far the only thing that's worked - even marginally is taking Chicken out of his diet. I also have a spray that the Vet gave me to put on his feet to stop him from chewing them.

Enjoy your pretty baby!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Walking her on concrete/asphalt will wear her nails down and keep them from having to be trimmed as often. Just remember that if it's to hot for you to be barefoot on, it's to hot for her paws to be bare on too. They have oatmeal shampoo and oatmeal sprays for dogs, soothing for the skin. My mom used an oatmeal spray and oatmeal on our dog, it really helped make her feel better temporarily. Didn't fix the issue, just soothed the poor dog's very irritated skin.

·
Registered
878 Posts
She's gorgeous. Agree with Abbylynn's suggestion that there may be some cairn terrier from her face plus poodle / bichon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts