Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just rescued a small, toy fox terrier about a month ago and she is the sweetest dog but there are a few issues I need advice on.

First, when we are outside she will not walk with my wife unless I am there either walking side by side with them or walking in front of them. My wife even offers her treats but she can't get our dog to walk for more than 10 seconds. I end up having to walk her.

Second, my dog will not accept treats from me, but she will take treats from my wife. When I offer her a treat, she becomes submissive and runs to the corner. This only just happened within the past couple of days, the first couple of weeks she would accept treats from both of us.

Third, family is always coming over, making noise, doing the normal routine, but everytime our dog hears people, loud noises or things of that nature, she'll find a place to hide and relieve herself in the house. I have been having to clean up after her and I am not quite sure if we as owners are doing something wrong.

The last thing is our dog is extremely quiet and does not bark. While that was fine in the beginning because she was and is adorable, we do not know if it is because of us or because of some past traumatic experience.

I might be a little melodramatic because I am a first time dog owner,

Please give us any advice that my help us...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Much of what you describe is quite common - esp. with rescue dogs. I'd suggest you find a good quality trainer who is experienced with rescue dogs and uses positive reinforcement. Group classes may be a better, as well as cheaper alternative. I'm not talking PetSmart here - you need a qualified trainer. You won't be sorry in the small investment that helps your new baby feel safe and secure in her new home, that helps her learn how to trust you and your wife, that teaches her skills that make her behave like a good canine citizen with other people, and make you and your wife proud of her.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
What you describe is the typical dog that doesn't have much exposure/experience to socialization. Socialization is confidence and the abiltity to cope with scary sights, loud noises, kids, men, bikes, new places, afraid to get too far from home, etc.

You're doing the right things. When you want to give her a treat, just toss it to her. Don't make her come to you or have to take it from your hand while you're leaning over her (threatening her). Build her confidence slowly. Don't rush into things she's not ready to handle yet. Work at a distance from scary stuff...play games...toss treats...associate those good things happening in those situations.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts