Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I just adopted a miniature schnauzer and it's all black. He's about 8 and a half weeks old and is really cute and we named him Joey. Anyway I have some problems with it that I thought you guys would be able to help me with. When I try to teach him not to bite, he gets really mad, like he barks and growls at me and starts chasing my hand around. When I try to teach him his name, he gets distracted by other things but he has responded to his name sometimes. Also, what does it mean when he walks towards me and sits by my feet? He does that sometimes. I've had him for three days already and I haven't even managed to teach him his name, I'm a terrible dog owner.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
You're not a terrible dog owner, it just takes time. :)
What exactly are you doing when you're teaching him not to bite?
If he responds to his name sometimes, you're on the right track. Remember he's still a baby and is learning about his new surroundings.

I'm in a mood to see puppy pics... post some if you can!!! :D

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
There are lots of good stickies in the training section of the forum.

Most of us would suggest that pups need to stay with the litter until 10-12 weeks of age as the litter will teach each other how to play properly...bite inhibition.

However, since your dog is younger you may want to check out the stickies for some training techniques.

Don't get too hung up on training, other than house breaking, during the first month. Give the little guy a chance to get acclimated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To teach him not to bite, I put my hand near his face and when he tries to bite I just say owww or no! And when he does bite I just stop playing with him altogether.
He seems to be on pace for potty training, he only poops when we put him outside except when he's in the garage. He still pees in the house though.

My sister has my camera so I don't have pictures of him but here's some pictures of my friends and family's dogs:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts