Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey
Sorry the my belated reply. Thanks for the help.

Well he naturally goes outside when I take him out. But for the rest of the evening, I'm in my room and he's in his area... he begs to get out of it, I let him out a play a little, I get back to my work and turn around to see him peeing on something... almost anything BUT the potty pad that I have laying out. Thing is I don't have time to supervise him all the time until he pees so it's missed opportunities to train him. I wonder if there is like some spray or sth that draws him to pee on the pad.. no idea!
Well... the obvious way to not have your dog peeing inside is to not train him to pee inside. The potty-pads have to go and you have to take the dog out on a schedule at first. After a while the dog will figure out how to tell that he he needs to go. You then need to be prepared to respond to that.

As for "biting": in puppies it's called mouthing. Think of it in a similar way in which human babies put everything in their mouth. Because their teeth are sharp it can cause scratches or bites but it's unlikely that a puppy will actually bite you because it wanted to bite you. It's much more likely that the dog is simply just learning how the world works and hasn't figured out how hard he can hold on yet.

The best and fastest way to stop a puppy from mouthing during play is to let him play with well socialized adult dogs. Dogs are miraculously good at socializing each other. A few plays a week with well adjusted older dogs will stop the mouthing. Prepare yourself, though. While your dog is going through this, he may get "corrected" by his playmate and that correction could sound like aggression. There is, however, a big difference in doggie body language between a snarl, a snap and a bite. An experienced dog owner will be able to tell you when it's going too far but for someone who hasn't seen the process before it can be startling. Protip: ONLY let your dog play with WELL SOCIALIZED dogs during this process. The best way to get yourself in that position is to take you dog to puppy training where the trainer uses a couple of adult dogs in the group.

I wouldn't initially advise you to let him play with dogs you randomly encounter on the street at this point. Start with a trainer. As an inexperienced owner you may still be in a position of not being able to read the other person's dog well enough to know if it's safe. Everyone thinks their dog is well behaved but you would be astonished to know how many people out there are completely clueless. I've even seen people whose dogs were demonstrably reactive/aggressive walking them off leash while the dog randomly charged other passing dogs, then to only hear the owner say, "he NEVER does that....." The point here is that some people are so clueless that you need to start off by avoiding every random encounter until YOU read the other person's dog an give it permission to approach yours. Especially a puppy with mouthing problems.

Eventually it *will* happen that your dog will engage in play with a random dog on the street. Maybe this will happen by accident or maybe because the other person's dog wasn't on a leash and ran up to you. If it happens then remain relaxed, watch for signs of tense body language and be prepared to intervene if necessary. In my experience it's better to remain relaxed and *literally* give the leash some slack so your dog learns not to be tense when another dog approaches it. If you get tense your dog will get tense. It's that simple.

If you don't trust it then turn and walk away. If the other dog does something that you think is aggressive then act on it without hesitation. Intervening usually does not involve more than stepping into the ring (getting in between the two dogs) and commanding "stop" or "sit" or some other command that they understand well. In some cases you may need to physically separate them so don't do this unless you're willing to risk a confrontation while you're trying to teach your dog how to avoid confrontation. Again, trainers control this process a lot better than you can with random encounters on the street. Protip: Until your dog is fully grown and over his mouthing only accept "random" encounters with dogs of comparable size to your own so if it does fly off the rails one or the other of the dogs will not be seriously injured by the confrontation.

Good luck.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.