Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! As stated, this is my first dog, so I’m in need of a little advice regarding a chewing problem. Zelda is a 1.5 year old mixed breed and she is generally really well behaved. I’ve worked hard with training her so we have a great bond, she goes on one long walk per day, plus a long visit to the beach or dog park for free range time. I work from home most of the time, so she is alone for maybe 3 hours at a stretch, a few times a week. I do not crate her and she is generally very well behaved, aside from ONE thing - she bites shoelaces in half. Doesn’t chew on them or anything, just bites them cleanly in half and then leaves them alone. Then yesterday she cleanly bit in half the cord between my knitting needles. I’m worried that next it may be an electrical cord. I can’t understand this. She doesn’t seem very anxious about being alone, she has tons of acceptable chew toys, lots of exercise and stimulation. What can I do, aside from crate training her? Thank you, and I apologize if this was long-winded!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Highly recommend you teach her to tolerate a crate when you cannot watch her or are not home. The electrical cords are pending and the outcome will most assuredly not be the one any of us would like.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Put it away and out of her reach. Shoes in a closet, knitting needles in a cupboard. Close off rooms where there are really enticing things. Simplest and easiest answer besides a crate.

And yeah, I agree, if she decides she wants to chomp on an electrical cord that could be very bad....she's still a young dog and expanding their chew toy selection, whether you like it or not, is something they do, so I feel like it's only a matter of time before she moves on to other things that look like shoelaces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts