Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm looking into adopting my first dog. :) I would like breed recommendations that fit my lifestyle.

Here is what I am looking for:

-Energy level on the lower side (My husband and I are very laid back, and are not used to high energy.)
-Small in size (Our backyard isn't all that large. Our house isn't small, but most of the rooms are small.)
-Low shedding (I have mild allergies.)
-Not too "yappy" (I realize every dog will bark, and that's fine. I just don't want our neighbors/company to hate us.) ;)

I would need to leave home about once a week or so, for a period of around 12 hours. It would be great if the dog could stay at home, just to make it easier on both of us. He could have his own room during that time, or I could get a crate.

I do realize that some of the above qualities would require the proper training.

Any breed recommendations, and additional advice, would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Shih Tzu. One walk a day is enough for mine though on hot days I have to break her walk up into 2-3 shorter walks so she doesn't get overheated. Breed standard for Shih Tzu is 9-16lbs though BYB Tzu are usually much bigger. Tzu are supposed to be quiet dogs and are recommended for apartment dwellers as a result though individuals can vary. Mine is definitely very quiet and I frequently get compliments and amazed looks from people about how quiet Casbah is. In my apartment it is my husband not my dog that sheds. :p However, keep in mind that a dog that doesn't shed entails more grooming which can get expensive if you don't do it yourself. I used to take mine to PetSmart to get the 'puppy cut' every 3 months and it was $40 with a coupon. Then I bought some clippers, round tipped scissors and a dremel to groom her myself. I set mine up in a playpen when she was a puppy and I had to leave but now she has full run of the apartment.
Check out dogstardaily.com and search for kikopup on youtube for training vids.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have you considered adopting a senior dog? There are lots that need a good home, and since they're older they will be a little slower and laid back. You wouldn't have to go through a crazy puppy stage, and adolesences, also a lot of them are already housebroken. You could get a senior shih tzu or a poodle cross, there are plenty out there :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I would adopt an adult from a shelter or rescue. Puppies are rambunctious, potty training takes months, there's the biting and whining, and then it takes until adulthood to find out if you got the mellow dog of your dreams or the high energy dog of your nightmares- hence all the 18 months and older dogs in rescue.

Go to petfinder.com put in your zip code and see what comes up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fuzzy Pants, thanks for that info. I will definitely keep the Shih Tzu in mind. :)

Wicket, yes, I am considering a senior. I have been keeping my eye on my local SPCA's and other shelters for a while now, but all I am seeing listed are large breeds. :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Also, another nice thing about seniors is that their personality is already set in. So what you see is what you get, no surprises, lol. I want to adopt a senior dog (or two >.>) one day, can't until I can afford a house, lol.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
have you thought about an all breed rescue? there are also dogs in rescue that need a home so the rescue can bring more fosters in. I have a pound puppy and I love him to pieces!! he was a puppy and crazy though,lol(and the WORST age ever I think, 6-8 months). Plus with the older dogs you know what there temperament is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will definitely consider an adult/senior. :)

The only aspect that I am slightly worried about is how the dog would adjust. He/she would be so used to the same home & people for years, and would need to adjust to a whole new life. Do you guys think most adult dogs adjust well?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I will definitely consider an adult/senior. :)

The only aspect that I am slightly worried about is how the dog would adjust. He/she would be so used to the same home & people for years, and would need to adjust to a whole new life. Do you guys think most adult dogs adjust well?
A senior dog will adjust much better in a home than in a shelter. So even if it isn't smooth sailing for awhile until the dog does adjust, it's still better than the shelter.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I would go with an adult, either from a shelter or rescue or even a breeder. A lot of breeders will have adults that are available. We've gotten three dogs that way (including my oldest right now) and it's been wonderful. I got Summer at 4 years and well past the puppy stage but still in her prime. She's 8 now and still very active and fun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, guys. I will definitely look into adopting an adult. Sounds like it would be best suited to me. :)

So, if anyone else has any recommendations as to which breed I should keep an eye out for, that would be great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first dog was a Dachshund I got one then about 8 months later went and got another.. They are not a hyper dog they love attention. There is a website you can go to daschundrescue.org or com cant remember which but lots of rescue dogs of all ages there.. Good Luck

·
Registered
801 Posts
Okay, guys. I will definitely look into adopting an adult. Sounds like it would be best suited to me. :)

So, if anyone else has any recommendations as to which breed I should keep an eye out for, that would be great!
My mom's last dog was a mini-schnauzer/beagle mix. She looked like she was all schnauzer though and had the schnauzer coat that doesn't shed but needed regular grooming. She was around 15lbs and rather quiet unless someone was at the door, at which point she'd bark her head off to let us know we needed to let her visitor in to give her some attention. She was a people lover. However, she'd drive everyone nuts wanting to play fetch with her tennis ball. But it was quite impressive when she'd leap 6 feet into the air to catch the ball before it had a chance to hit the ground. So maybe an older schnauzer/beagle mix might be an option.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good for you for rescuing an older dog. Based on your description, I think any puppy would be too much, at least the first year or so. Granted, there are well behaved puppies but those are rare. Having fostered and adopted out several dogs and kept up on their progress, I have to say, there hasn't been a single case of a dog that adjusted poorly. I think any dog thats at least 2 or 3 years old are old enough to be well over their puppy and teenage stage.

as far as breeds go, I think if you go the rescue route, chances are there will be a lot of mixes. With mixes, its even more difficult to make generalizations about breed temperaments. My border collie mix is super mellow and laid back. I would advise you to talk with the rescuers or fosters (I highly recommend rescuing from groups that have foster homes, as they can tell you a lot more about the dog) about the temperaments before making any judgments based on breed specific information when it comes to non-purebred dogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts