Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

First Time Dog Mom with various issues

977 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Rin 
#1 ·
I have a dog I recently adopted from the pound who has many bad behaviors he likely learned from previous homes(he is a BIG dog (lab/shep mix)). The major one currently being his jumping on my bed.

I climb in the bed with him, tell him NO in a clear calm voice and point to his bed(inside his crate) and try to stare him in the eye. To which he responds by planting his rear firmly and whining at me. Shoving him off however when he refuses like this is incredibly counter productive, he'll fight and whine at me and mouth my hand/arm when this goes on (which makes me believe he thinks this is a game). Once I finally get him off he'll repeatedly circle my bed back and forth looking for an opening which I'll follow him, constantly trying to body block him. Is there a better way to urge him off my bed that will get the point across and how can I make his crate more inviting than my bed? He already has many sheets in there with water and all his toys (not to mention hes already proven he needs crate training XD). I've not had him long and this isn't the only bad habit hes definately picked up from a previous home.

#2 ·
If I had a dog I couldn't keep off the bed, I would close the bedroom door and keep him out.

This is clearly not a training technique. It is simply what a lazy dog owner like myself does in the face of an easily managed bad behavior. I might also consider putting the dog's leash on and tethering him to a piece of bedroom furniture in such a way so as to allow him access to the room (and me), but not the bed.

#3 ·
I would but... that is where I keep his crate and it's hard enough trying to get him used to it and comfortable with it without restricting him from that too. Thank you for the suggestion though, I do try to block him from the room when it isn't bed time but when it is he literally just b-lines it to the bed when I want him in his crate.

#6 ·
I gotcha. I wasn't understanding that his only happens when you're trying to get him from the door of the bedroom into the crate.

Can you just use a leash? Keep the bedroom door closed, put his leash on him, open the door, and use the leash to keep him from getting on the bed.

As for getting in the crate, you'll probably want to start teaching a command. In the meantime, lure him. Wait until you're ready to leave to give him his breakfast, then put it in the crate. Or toss a few pieces of roast chicken or microwaved hot dogs in the back. Introduce him to Kongs and see if he likes them. If so, fill one with some awesome stuff and toss it in with him.

Or, another management technique...take the crate out of the bedroom.

#8 ·
Sorry for laaate reply, that night after I put him in his crate and went to lie down on my bed he /cried/ at me. I got annoyed and threw a blanket over his crate. He went silent immediately. Every day since he has gone in there willingly. So yea, it was solved by a blankie by accident XD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.