Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

First Time Dog Mom with various issues

974 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Rin 
If I had a dog I couldn't keep off the bed, I would close the bedroom door and keep him out.

This is clearly not a training technique. It is simply what a lazy dog owner like myself does in the face of an easily managed bad behavior. I might also consider putting the dog's leash on and tethering him to a piece of bedroom furniture in such a way so as to allow him access to the room (and me), but not the bed.

I gotcha. I wasn't understanding that his only happens when you're trying to get him from the door of the bedroom into the crate.

Can you just use a leash? Keep the bedroom door closed, put his leash on him, open the door, and use the leash to keep him from getting on the bed.

As for getting in the crate, you'll probably want to start teaching a command. In the meantime, lure him. Wait until you're ready to leave to give him his breakfast, then put it in the crate. Or toss a few pieces of roast chicken or microwaved hot dogs in the back. Introduce him to Kongs and see if he likes them. If so, fill one with some awesome stuff and toss it in with him.

Or, another management technique...take the crate out of the bedroom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.